So, what does sludge look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XPR

370338200_de462c7e66.jpg

Found this on Flickr.com Its the inside of a BMW 5 Series engine.

......oil changes are a conspiracy by the oil companies. You don't need to change your oil every year, no sir. They are not going to fool me. Besides, I'll just trade it in in three years before the first oil change comes due.

The story is that engine came into an independent BMW repair shop, other than them using Castrol 5W-30 oil, that's all the intel I have.

wow.... wow....... castrol huh? must be the original fill and that motor has 40k miles on it.. wow... such a shame for such an expensive motor.

Originally Posted By: mikeg5
wow.... wow....... castrol huh? must be the original fill and that motor has 40k miles on it.. wow... such a shame for such an expensive motor.

Dunno, I thought BMW had free oil changes during the warranty. Probably has a lot more than 40K would be my guess. They said they had to scoop it out before the could take it apart.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
The oil changes may be free but the recommended time between them is beyond common sense.

I thought they were about 12k miles. Of course just because its free doesn't mean they had them done.

Originally Posted By: XPR
I thought they were about 12k miles.

The interval is based on the amount of fuel consumed. So, depending on what mpg you get, it can be as much as 18-20k miles before the service light goes off on the dashboard.

Last edited:
What's the problem? The timing chains and cam lobes look fine and the rest is just leftover cosmoline from when it was originally shipped...!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: XPR
I thought they were about 12k miles.

The interval is based on the amount of fuel consumed. So, depending on what mpg you get, it can be as much as 18-20k miles before the service light goes off on the dashboard.

The engine here must have gone a lot more than 20k miles without changing oil, or maybe they used API SA engine oil...

Last edited:
Here's a filter from a 94 Roadmaster Wagon, a fellow member on impalassforum.com has. I can't find the picture of the intake with all the sludge, but here's what was in his filter after he did a 1000 oil change after he bought it. Car was from FL, had 104,000 miles on it.

post1191140491547ev4.jpg

post1191140491518zv2.jpg

Last edited:
Man, I should have taken shots of my 1983 Nissan with a 50k OCI. If only Bitog existed back then. Truck still went 176k before it blew a head gasket and would probably still run if I had had the patience to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back