Throttle body service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey mori! . . . See what I mean about some guys using the capital "M" ?
grin2.gif

The service manual on my '97 Miata makes mention of some kind of coating on the interior of the throttle body - the use of throttle body cleaner spray and _not_ carb spray is specified, as the solvents in the latter would remove the coating and lead to idle problems and whatnot. IIRC, this was also the case on my '90 Integra.

I agree generally that keeping the air intake passage clean is a good idea, and this certainly includes the TB and the butterfly, etc.

But so long as the deposits don't cause anything like the butterfly or the idle air control valve to stick, then why really care about the deposits? I can't imagine deposits to really impede air flow, unless the deposits are ridiculously bad...also, if the deposits get ridiculous, you wouldn't want a chunk to fall off and get drawn into the combustion chamber....but short of major deposits, I can't see what difference it makes to clean it or not.

Originally Posted By: Vaca
I agree generally that keeping the air intake passage clean is a good idea, and this certainly includes the TB and the butterfly, etc.

But so long as the deposits don't cause anything like the butterfly or the idle air control valve to stick, then why really care about the deposits? I can't imagine deposits to really impede air flow, unless the deposits are ridiculously bad...also, if the deposits get ridiculous, you wouldn't want a chunk to fall off and get drawn into the combustion chamber....but short of major deposits, I can't see what difference it makes to clean it or not.

My wife's old Expedition randommly stumbled & died at idle a few times shortly after we purchased it used with 65k miles on it. I checked the throttle body around the butterfly, and found it to be dirty, but not DIRTY. I cleaned it with carb cleaner, and never had the problem again. My theory: There was enough build-up to keep the butterfly from closing 100%, thus letting just a little bit too much air in for idle speed.

Originally Posted By: Vaca

It takes only a small amount of tarlike deposits to prevent the butterfly valve(s) from closing fully. That's less than ideal, as wavinwayne already said. Deposits attract more dirt and deposits. Keeping the whole area clean minimizes the formation and migration of new deposits.

First of all it sounds like and IAC problem.

On majority of all throttle bodies I clean I use a rag. I spray the rag with throttle body cleaner and I clean the bore and plate with my fingers. I NEVER EVER spray inside the throttle body because there's the potential of doing some damage.

I spray MAF sensors with a cleaner all the time on fords. Thats a very common problem with many fords. The negative reversion puts black [censored] on the hotwire. I do that to all cars that fail emissions.Fords seems to have reall bad Maf's.

The only issues I've seen with Ford MAFs were caused by the air filter. Either over-oiled (K&N type) or not even installed. (How else does a piece of hair get on a MAF sensor?)

Last edited:
GRAND PRIX IS A TERRIBLE DEALER BOUGHT 2 TRUCKS FROM THEM AN OLD FORD VAN AND A 2002 GRAND CHEROKEE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR GO a diffrent dealer trust me

Originally Posted By: moribundman

The gunk in my car's TB is mostly from the PCV system. PCV fumes get sucked out of the lower plenum and into the TB, while actual oil residue gets sucked via a small vacuum tube from the plenum bottom through a port behind the primary TB butterfly valve into the TB in an effort to recycle that junk through the IM into the combustion chamber.

BINGO!!! DING! DING! DING! You win the prize!
thankyou2.gif

This is absolutely correct - the gunk comes from the PCV, not dirt coming through the air filter.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
If you can get your head in there and take a look you gotta have a head the size of an orange or eyes on stalks.

Now that right there is funny, I don't care who you are....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back