Scion Tc (toyota) Auto tranny fluid change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owners manual calls for ATF Type T-IV for our 05 Scion Tc auto...so who makes a decent syn fuid for this auto application?

You mean that Scion doesn't recommend that the fluid be a LIFEtime fill? :) The MT fluid in my 08 xD has no recommended maint interval (yeah, right!).

I wander what the difference is between 05 and 07
(07 recommends WS fluid)
I thought that auto trannys were the same on 05 06 and 07 Scion tC models

Edit - tC is 100,000 mile fill.

Last edited:
Toyota has never claimed lifetime fill in the manual. The instructions are to replace the fluid at 60k miles if the vehicle is used for towing. Otherwise, the fluid needs to be inspected every 15k and replaced on an as-needed basis. (discoloration, sediment, burned odor)

The transmissions are the same, but the WS provides a more constant viscosity profile compared to the T-IV.

No where does it say that any of the fluids are a 100k mile fill. Where did you get this info?

I do remember seeing on SOME automatics, on the dipstick itself, that the fluid may not require changing under most operating conditions.

Originally Posted By: BayouTodd
Owners manual calls for ATF Type T-IV for our 05 Scion Tc auto...so who makes a decent syn fuid for this auto application?

Royal Purple MaxATF is a great replacement for the Toyota T-IV ATF fluid. My new Chevy actually calls for T-IV in the 5-spd transaxle and I will be swapping to RP's fluid.

http://www.royalpurple.com/transmission-chart.html ( click on Auto Transmissions for the cross ref list )

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: NHSilverado

Royal Purple MaxATF is a great replacement for the Toyota T-IV ATF fluid. My new Chevy actually calls for T-IV in the 5-spd transaxle and I will be swapping to RP's fluid.

http://www.royalpurple.com/transmission-chart.html ( click on Auto Transmissions for the cross ref list )

You bought an Equinox?

Be careful when you service the transaxle. If you remove the wrong fill plug, it will cause some of the components to "fall out" internally, requiring you to disassemble the transmission.

Originally Posted By: oilslick44

Dealership only.

Apparently so is the T-IV
smirk2.gif
but for the $20 to add the 3.7 qts in a pan drain every 50-60 miles I feel much better about my several thousand dollar tranny.
12.gif

After this I am servicing my PS fluid, went to the autozone to find some off brand DEXIII, no one makes a name brand DEXIII any more?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
oilslick44 said:
/quote]
Dealership only.

Apparently so is the T-IV but for the $20 to add the 3.7 qts in a pan drain every 50-60 miles I feel much better about my several thousand dollar tranny.

After this I am servicing my PS fluid, went to the autzones to find some off brand DEXIII, none makes a name brand DEXII no more?

DexIII licensing is expired. Dexron-VI is the only approved fluid by GM for applications that previously called for Dexron III.

The price of WS has dropped significantly over the past year and now costs the same as T-IV.

RoyalPurple, Amsoil, Amalie, Redline... have excellent full synthetic ATF for T-IV applications.

But, you can use any univeral/multivehicle ATF. Pennzoil, Castrol Import, Schaeffers...... are great options.

There is no need to use the OE fluid.

For the PSF, you can use MerconV as an upgrade to Dex/merc. Again, any of the ATF's that I mentioned above can also be used as PSF.

So what type (size!) of HEX socket is required to get the auto drain plug out now that I know what fluid?

Red Line D4 ATF. Works great in my 06 Camry SE and solved a shifting issue I was having. Very happy with it. Red Lines ATF is one of the best out there. Also used it in the P/S unit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back