Decided to try Tufoil.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

BTW, Tufoil has the same effects in engines that I've thrown it in. Quiter, smoother, and better MPG is typical for it.

How quickly are you seeing these results with Tufoil?

Dont know about undummy but for me I saw the results right after i poured it in. I actually had to lower the volume on the radio because it felt too loud. The better fuel economy is not much but I've been getting an extra 15-20miles per tank with similar driving habits before.

I was thinking of adding Tufoil to my Rangers manual gearbox which spec's Mercon just because I have it and I don't want to put it in my motor. Does anybody see any harm in this? Will it mix with the ATF OK ? I remember reading years ago that SAAB owners were swearing that it made their
manual gearboxes much smoother. Whay say you all?

pbm - The synchros won't grab as well with the Tufoil. If they do, it isn't doing anything.
The apparent smoothness is because of possible less friction in sliding and rotating parts.

Mechtech2: Thanks for the feedback. Could you give me a brief explanation of 'synchros' and what they do.

Quote:

pbm - The synchros won't grab as well with the Tufoil. If they do, it isn't doing anything.
The apparent smoothness is because of possible less friction in sliding and rotating parts.

Isnt less friction in sliding and rotating parts a good thing??

Quote:

Quote:

Isnt less friction in sliding and rotating parts a good thing??

That's what I thought. This is a bit confusing.

What kind of proces is used that would keep Teflon / PFTE from breaking down on these parts like it does over time on frying pans?

Synchros are synchronizers - they physically need to grab another part as they spin, to get it to the same speed as it is, so the next gear can be engaged.
There are bearings, gears, shifter mechanisms, and other parts in the tranny, however. They LIKE a slick oil, but the synchros work better with more friction.

I haven't posted here in a long time (deployed).
I used Tufoil for around seven years with great results.
Those results being improved gas mileage, quieter engine noise, smoother running engine, quicker throttle response, etc.

I spoke of these things last winter here, and was kicked in the teeth for several weeks about it.

I looked up what NASA had to say about PTFE. NASA found that PTFE had a tendency to build up in the tiniest of oil passages which would eventually block oil flow.

So I quit using Tufoil in my engines. I use only Amsoil 5W40 Euro formula.

I do use Tufoil in my gearboxes and differentials. Using a synthetic gear oil with Tufoil is like taking 500 lbs out of your trunk. Smooths out the shifter, too. The entire drivetrain becomes silky smooth.

I did experience one problem with Tufoil when I had installed it in my '02 Volvo XC-70. I lost power. The engine would rev right past the power band and into the red kicking on the rev limiter. I had trouble getting around on the freeways because of this phenomena. So I removed the oil with Tufoil and replaced it with Havoline petro with Auto Rx and cleaned it all out. Then I installed Amsoil 5W40 Euro with no additives and the car now runs strong as ----.

hide.gif

Originally Posted By: pbm
I was thinking of adding Tufoil to my Rangers manual gearbox which spec's Mercon just because I have it and I don't want to put it in my motor. Does anybody see any harm in this? Will it mix with the ATF OK ? I remember reading years ago that SAAB owners were swearing that it made their
manual gearboxes much smoother. Whay say you all?

Only thing that made my saab MT run better was thinner oil.

Thanks for doing the UOA deven.
I've always been curious about Tufoil, and now there's finally some real data... - Tufoil VOA & UOA.
Sorry again, for my asinine comments in your UOA post.

Originally Posted By: DmanWho
Thanks for doing the UOA deven.
I've always been curious about Tufoil, and now there's finally some real data... - Tufoil VOA & UOA.
Sorry again, for my asinine comments in your UOA post.

Not a problem Dmanwho and your comments were welcome in my UOA thread. Not asinine at all, its the way we all learn on this board. Thanks again,

Deven

I wasn't even near the computer, when the realization of the error I had posted, "came to me." In the UOA thread, of all places!
shocked2.gif
It can get pretty brutal in there!

Your UOA has really peaked my interest in Tufoil.
I need to find out about any possible conflicts, using it in conjunction with my Auto-Rx regime. I don't mean running both products at the same-time, but using 4oz. of the Tufoil, in place of the Auto-Rx, maybe every 3rd or 4th OCI...
During that peak hype period for Slick-50, I swore I'd never use a PTFE product in my engine. I'm not completely "Sold," but I am anxiously awaiting your next UOA w/4oz. of Tufoil.
thumbsup2.gif

Plus, I just found out they discontinued my VSOT!
frown.gif

Don't know if they altered the product since 1992 but I swear this killed my volvo, had to have main bearings replaced at 85,000. The teflon I later learned was not engine friendly but too late. just MO on the product but I swear it is snake oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back