Lucas UCL - Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great info on Lucas and your MPG. I've always liked how this makes certain engines run smoother.

With M1 0w20 and 5k OCIs, you do not ever need to flush. Save your money. But, if you can't help yourself, flush it every 5-6th OCI. Better yet, just run a maintenance dose of LubeControl, AutoRX, Lubegard Biotech,.........or something else.

I would try other fuel additives for comparison. Give MMO, FP60, 2-stroke oil, CA40, 131c,....... 1/2 dozen tanks of fuel.

Another thing to try is to lean the Lucas out a little to see how little you need before losing MPG. Try 3.5, 3 ,or 2 ounces per tank for 1/2 dozen tanks. Maybe you can maximize your savings a little more? I tend to find that some products tend to be overdosed. Others need overdosing. So, give 4.5-6 ounces a 1/2 dozen tankfuls too.

Bummer its an automatic. You are due for ATF maintenance. T-IV???? or WS???? An MPG or full synthetic ATFs cold help a little when cool out.

PSF too can be switched to a full synth.

Lucas, or any fuel additive, shouldn't affect how clean the oil engine looks on the outside. Thats the job of the M1 and 5k interval. Lucas should help keep your injectors clean along with controlling valve/combustion/pistion deposits.

Concerning your Techron usage, rotate among some of the brand available. Give Redline Si1, Seafoam, Berryman, Amsoil PI, Regane, 3M......

lovcom,

A good part of it was being energy conscense too. I use Lucas only as a weekly supplement to enhanse the gasoline I use believing some form must be present in the gas already. Once in a blue moon I'll add a small bottle.

Since your car is fairly new as long as you see good results I'd continue to use it but just as a supplement like I do. Remember, my Toyota Camry has almost 230K on it. Mile it has but the guy is still going strong and will use it until I can't get parts for it.

Durango

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
I would skip the solvent flush and go with the maintenance dose of Auto-RX. This would be much kinder to your engine and more effective. After 5k miles on Mobil1, I can't imagine that there would be any crud to flush out. When you say that your father pulled off the head, did you mean to say he pulled off the valve cover or the whole cylinder head?

I agree! If this was my car, I'd look into running 7500 mile OCI's and run 3 oz of ARX and maybe try 1oz of Lubecontrol Fuel Power in every tank.

I like the LC over the Lucas UCL.

I don't see the point of auto-Rx with a brand new engine that has only had synthetic oil, conservative OCI's, and was flushed just before most oil changes.

Since I flush the solvant out with cheapo oil, I don't see the harm of using a product that is found in all auto stores, and costs only $2.89.

I use Lucas fuel treatment in both our present vehicles as well as past vehicles we have owned with good results.

Use approximately 2.5 oz per 10 gallons of regular unleaded at every fill.

Works for me.

You are using UCL, Techron, flushes etc...to "save" money? I like the top oil thing, but Lucas is notorius for putting greasy slop in a quart bottle and slapping a $10 price tag on it. Let me ask, would you run a 2-stroke engine on UCL? Well, then why use it in a 4-stroke? I use 2C oil in my 4-strokes. A gallon of Pennzoil Marine Semi-Synth costs me the same $10 and it actually has ~some~ additives, good base oil and passes a spec test.

Correct me if Iam wrong,but most two strokes oils have little if any detergents in them. Detergents leave residue, your best two stroke oils will leave no residue and burn up cleanly leaving nothing behind. Although two stroke oils and oil in a four stroke do the same thing basically, the 2 stroke oil is leaving and doesnt have to clean or coat the parts or provide a cushion, its there to lubercate the bearings for one quick swipe and out the pipe.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
You are using UCL, Techron, flushes etc...to "save" money? I like the top oil thing, but Lucas is notorius for putting greasy slop in a quart bottle and slapping a $10 price tag on it. Let me ask, would you run a 2-stroke engine on UCL? Well, then why use it in a 4-stroke? I use 2C oil in my 4-strokes. A gallon of Pennzoil Marine Semi-Synth costs me the same $10 and it actually has ~some~ additives, good base oil and passes a spec test.

Wait, you run marine oil in your fuel tank instead of the Lucas?

Jumping back to another portion of this tipic...MPG during the UCL cycle. I have done several UCL cycle to my vehicles using the recomended doseage or less and have never noticed better MPG while running the dose with a full tank of fuel. During each dose of UCL or MMO or Techron or Regane, the MPG on each tank of fresh fuel had dropped 1-2 MPG. On the next fill up and fill ups there after I have noticed that the MPG either went back to the mileage that I was normaly getting or maybe a little better(only up to an extra 1-2 MPG) with subsequent fill ups. Makes me wonder if I really need any fuel system cleaners/UCL's. I only do this a couple of times each year.

Nope, my primary reason for my regimen is for engine longevity.

2-Cycle oil? I use a ~Marine Quality~ 2-Cycle oil in my car at 500:1. Costs me less than $.02c a gallon.

2-Cycle oil? I use a ~Marine Quality~ 2-Cycle oil in my car at 500:1. Costs me less than $.02c a gallon.

So you add the 2-cycle oil into the gas of your 4-cycle as if it were a 2-cycle for the lubrication properties?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back