Clay bar detailer sprays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anyone see an issue, with using a claybar from say mother's or meguiar's and another company's detailing spray, since they both seem to come with their own line of quick detailer spray and cleaner wax, should it be a problem to use the claybar with say the ice quick detailer? i'm sure this is kind of a newbie question, but i am not that familiar with clay bar process. thanks in advance.

No issue whatsoever. The QD is only used as a lubricant for the Claybar. I have personally used both Mother's and Meguiars QD with a ClayMagic claybar and a Mother's Claybar. Some people also use a carwash/water mix instead but I wouldn't recommend it as it would take some experimentation to get the ratio correct

McQuires does not recommend using their new Ultimate quick detailer as a clay lube. They say the old QD is fine but not the UQD. ?

Originally Posted By: sHERM
McQuires does not recommend using their new Ultimate quick detailer as a clay lube. They say the old QD is fine but not the UQD. ?

This is correct. You can use any of Meguiar's other quick detail sprays as a clay lube, just not the Ultimate Quik Detailer. And using Meguiar's detailer sprays with other clay bars (or the other way around) is just fine. I've used more combinations than I care to remember and never had a problem.

Originally Posted By: NissanFan
Would anyone see an issue, with using a claybar from say mother's or meguiar's and another company's detailing spray, since they both seem to come with their own line of quick detailer spray and cleaner wax, should it be a problem to use the claybar with say the ice quick detailer? i'm sure this is kind of a newbie question, but i am not that familiar with clay bar process. thanks in advance.

There is no magic formula to claying, a good car wash soap works fine. The Kit brand car wash is good but slightly expensive, I use Blue Coral wash from Walmart but it doesn't suds up quite as well as the Kit.

Anyway, just make sure to wash the car throughly first. Then using a clean bucket of warm water and car wash soap start claying using a front to back motion, kneading the clay bar frequently, and being extra careful not to drop the bar on the ground.

I leave the clay bar in the warm soap and water when hosing off the car, (makes it pliable and easier to knead). You'll get the hang of it quickly and will feel the clay bar slide easier as it cleans the paint.

As I said before I've never used a clay bar before, except Turtle Wax Ice Liquid clay, and I felt it did a pretty good job, but figure why not try the real deal and see if it performs any better. I'd imagine the reason for kneading the clay frequently is so you aren't dragging those contaminants you just yanked off your finish back across the paint and either doing more harm than good or just putting them back on the finish, correct?

For claying, I think detail spray is a waste of money. I've also heard that many detail sprays contain alcohol and will soften/deteriorate clay over time. I've used car wash soap and water with good results. Some believe that pure water is all the lubrication you need. I intend to try a recently found recommendation of 2 drops of Ivory liquid hand soap to 32 oz of water.

As I said before I've never used a clay bar before, except Turtle Wax Ice Liquid clay, and I felt it did a pretty good job, but figure why not try the real deal and see if it performs any better. I'd imagine the reason for kneading the clay frequently is so you aren't dragging those contaminants you just yanked off your finish back across the paint and either doing more harm than good or just putting them back on the finish, correct?

Correct. Reknead the clay every panel or so, depending on the amount of surface contaminents are being removed.

Originally Posted By: rondoggnuts
For claying, I think detail spray is a waste of money. I've also heard that many detail sprays contain alcohol and will soften/deteriorate clay over time.
I've never heard that about detail spray damaging clay over time. Heck, when I'm done with a clay bar I store it in a sealed plastic baggie with a spray of quick detailer on it to keep it from sticking to the bag. After sitting like for 3 months the clay is fine.

I use quick detail spray when claying so that I don't have to wash the car again before moving on to the polishing step. Just wipe off the qd spray as you go and when the car is clayed I jump right in to the next step. No rewashing or even rinsing.

Most clay bars are actually designed to work with quick detail sprays as lube. While a car wash soap can be used, I've had people tell me they've ruined clay by using too harsh of a detergent.

I never suggested that this applied to every detail spray, just what I've heard.

And clay being "designed" to work with detail spray does not guarantee that detail sprays are the best choice. Just like gasoline is "designed" for engines - it does not allow engines to run as efficiently as they could if the gasoline was formulated differently (e.g. no ethanol). Economics should be considered before concluding that the manufacturer of a product knows what is best. Many times they recommend what is best for THEM, but not always.

But then again, I've never had a problem with detail sprays either, but I haven't tried every product. My primary goal was to inform fellow enthusiasts of a more economical alternative to using detail spray as a clay lube.

If the goal is to save time washing and rising then perhaps the detail spray makes sense. However, I've noticed I catch spots needing further washing the second time around with the clay, so the soap and water comes in handy.
As mentioned it's important to wrap the bar for storage or it may dry out and harden.

Personally, I haven't noticed any damage to the clay bar using car wash soap.
Anyway, nowadays I buy the generic green clay bars for $8-10 at the Englishtown Raceway Park spring/fall swapmeets. Slightly inferior to the $25 3M clay bar, but it does the same job and at less than half the price I'm not complaining.
Also, they told me they sell them to professional detailers.

Not to belabor the thread, but I did pick up one of the Meguiar's clay kit that came with the quick detailer and the cleaning wax at good ol' Wally World, but then I saw Clay Magic I think it was called at AZ, anyone used this one and what do they think of it? I believe it was cheaper, and only came with two bars (same as Meguiar's kit) and the clay lubricant it was called and no wax I believe. I think I'll just stick with the Meguiar's but wanted an opinion on the other one, or is a clay.. a clay.. a clay?

Since the patent for paint detailing clay is owned and aggressively enforced by Clay Magic's parent company, Auto Wax Inc., it is safe to say that most clay products on the market are either mfr'd by Clay Magic or they pay Auto Wax a royalty for every product made. I think we can reasonably assume most everyone buys from Auto Wax, who tweaks the color and abrasiveness for each customer.

Basically, don't worry too much about the brand and buy on price, convenience and personal preference.

Clay Magic is less expensive than the Mother's or the Meguiar's clay kits. Also, I believe it comes with 100 grams of clay rather than the 80 grams that most come with. I find this a much better deal, and as bretfraz stated, they are all made by Clay Magic anyway. Have no worries with the Clay Magic kit. You can use the extra five bucks to buy a few beers.

Originally Posted By: globey
Have no worries with the Clay Magic kit. You can use the extra five bucks to buy a few beers.

I kinda like that idea...lol give me something to sip on while washing and waxing the ol' truck. I already had bought the Meguiar's kit, if I don't decide to return it to Wally World, then I'll get the Clay Magic the next time. Thanks for y'all's input.

Last edited:
Last weekend while washing and detailing my truck, I decided to use the Meguiar's clay kit I picked up on a few places on the truck. I was impressed with how well it performed in those spots, and also the glassy finish it left. I know this is the point of using a clay, it still just impressed me. I do have to say though, the only complaint I have is that the clays are tiny, the Meguiars kit comes with 2, but they are extremely small, comparative to small bars of hotel soap. I would imagine it could take forever to do the whole truck that way if you wanted to.

Last weekend while washing and detailing my truck, I decided to use the Meguiar's clay kit I picked up on a few places on the truck. I was impressed with how well it performed in those spots, and also the glassy finish it left. I know this is the point of using a clay, it still just impressed me. I do have to say though, the only complaint I have is that the clays are tiny, the Meguiars kit comes with 2, but they are extremely small, comparative to small bars of hotel soap. I would imagine it could take forever to do the whole truck that way if you wanted to.

The nice thing about Meguiar's putting two smaller pieces of clay in the kit instead of one large one is that if you forget to tear a larger piece in half and then drop it, you're done. A dropped clay bar should never be allowed to touch paint again.

But one of the small(ish) bars in the Meguiar's kit is more than sufficient to do a few cars. And, unless the vehicle is several years old and has never been clayed, nor properly taken care of, claying is not a time consuming or difficult process.

I've never forgotten to tear a piece of clay in two. The Clay Magic is a much better deal. More clay and less money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back