How to keep cats off your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put some mouse traps up on the cowl by the wipers, cats are curious, but once it gets a snap out of that, it will be so freaked out, it wont go near a car again. This is my humane approach, my first choice was a .22 long rifle.

No Dave, discussing it with the neighbors is not an option. I don't want to invite any more trouble than I already have. I know the cats are just being cats but I do not want to start up anything with the neighbors. We have animal control and noise/disturbing the peace laws here too, but some people don't obey them. I'd just as soon leave the neighbors alone.

Am chuckling at your humor Moribundman. I guess if I could afford a Jaguar I could afford a house with a garage too...

Originally Posted By: firemediceric
If the cat happens to find some tuna fish that was left out after being contaminated with antifreeze or rat poison, it won't make many trips back.

Expect someone from this site to come by your place and slice your tires within the next 48hrs!
06.gif
Lots ofpus ,er, kitty lovers here.

Bob

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190

I heard they don't like the smell of mothballs so I may try putting some out around the carport to see what happens. Thanks for the reaponse, I appreciate any other ideas.

Thats what my dad used to do back in the day, put moth balls in a little container and put on the hood of each car in the driveway. i guess it worked, never saw cats or paw prints on the cars

Originally Posted By: firemediceric
If the cat happens to find some tuna fish that was left out after being contaminated with antifreeze or rat poison, it won't make many trips back.
I was impressed that someone with this sort of attitude (and consequent low IQ) could actually spell "antifreeze".

I have witnessed a small child poisoned by a similar act by some other low grade moron. Think first before you suggest criminal acts such as this.

Put a tarp or blanket over the truck and a number of small mousetraps as suggested earlier

Seriously, it may be that the hood of your car is simply warmer, than the surrounding ground, and cats like to perch and snooze on high ground.

So you could set up something nearby, that is both warm and of a similar height, that affords easy access, for cats.

As for trying to reason with the kitty's caretakers, who leave it out all night in the relative "coolness", you will likely have better luck herding cats. So a heat pad on the lowest setting under a folder beach towel, set nearby at a similar height, may give you a paw print free car and an additional nice feeling inside. Cats are lovely sweet creature IMO, and they deserve a warm bed.

I like cats too. I just don't want them on my truck when I go to so much trouble to keep it clean. I had no cat detritus on my truck this morning, and it doesn't happen all the time or every day. But I will look into the plants to try to keep them off the truck and off my porch. Not all of these cats are fixed and they spray everywhere.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
One could always look for kitty's natural enemy:

c4557ccd4c031e27571d3c78920f75024dd77249.jpg

Click here if the image won't load.

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /files/c4/c4557ccd4c031e27571d3c78920f75024dd77249.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Originally Posted By: wantin150
Live trap, can of cat food/tuna, trip to the pound.

The pound is nothing but death row.

Also potentially an illegal act. Various traps are inhumane and are also a "shotgun" type of approach (ie trap a cat whether it is the correct one or not) There have been several sensible suggestions here but again, this isn't one of them.

Jimmy - basically, you either have to:

• deal with the neighbours
  • find a non lethal means of discouraging the animal (several sensible suggestions have been made); or
  • live with the problem

Good luck mate

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Don't you have a Level 5 security clearance?

He'll take care of all cats, dogs, coons etc.

232vrl.jpg

Only problem with this solution is they allways try to chew your nuts!

Bob

Originally Posted By: LexusAussie

Also potentially an illegal act. Various traps are inhumane and are also a "shotgun" type of approach (ie trap a cat whether it is the correct one or not) There have been several sensible suggestions here but again, this isn't one of them.

Jimmy - basically, you either have to:

• deal with the neighbours
  • find a non lethal means of discouraging the animal (several sensible suggestions have been made); or
  • live with the problem

Good luck mate

1. Live traps are VERY humane, hence the "live" part. Nothing more than a cage with a way in but not a way out.

2. Some counties/cities consider cats the same way they do dogs when it comes to leash laws. Regardless of whose cat you catch, the owner was still in violation if it came on YOUR property and was caught. The point of a live trap is that you can release the animal unharmed if it is the wrong one.

3. Cats on cars cause damage. Animals which cause damage are nuisance animals. Nuisance animals can be caught and turned over to the pound, as can "animals at large".

I once had a neighbor cat that was very territorial and not too friendly to me so...

I marked my "territory" with my own "Type 1" fluid and he tended to stay away after that. It seems there may have been problems with that cat climbing up on the car as well and IIRC I marked the tires too...

Quote:
Only problem with this solution is they always try to chew your nuts!

Bob

A feller could get bit on the hand that way.

Originally Posted By: Crashbox
I once had a neighbor cat that was very territorial and not too friendly to me so...

I marked my "territory" with my own "Type 1" fluid and he tended to stay away after that. It seems there may have been problems with that cat climbing up on the car as well and IIRC I marked the tires too...

To the Wee-mobile!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back