2005 Honda Accord ATF options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group,

I have been lurking here for a while but have just joined! I just got a 2005 accord 4 cyl auto, 34K miles. I just checked my fluid level, looks a little low so i was wondering do i need to stick with the Z1 fluid from the dealer or can i add a cheaper alternative like the multi vehicle ATF's i have seen out there. Thanks in advance

I had great luck with Amsoil ATF in the TL. It actually stays red for the entire interval, shifts were better, and it got rid of the gear whine the car had since new.

I'm using the ATD now with good results but it's not recommended by Amsoil.

I have a 4cyl '99 Accord with auto trans. Every two years I drain the trans fluid, clean the magnetic drain plug and top the fluid up again. I cannot fully drain the transmission, obviously, but with regular drains and top ups it is pretty cheap insurance. The fluid always looks bright and clean and smells normal. I use the Honda ATF and the cost is minimal for a couple of bottles.

BTW, I also had a trans cooler installed shortly after I bought the car (new). I don't tow anything but it is more cheap insurance IMHO. I know it helps on scorching hot days while running the a/c.

Personally, I would stick with the Honda ATF, it isn't expensive.

Originally Posted By: paul246

Personally, I would stick with the Honda ATF, it isn't expensive.

I have not checked around for prices but I was under the impression is was $6 a quart. Is this the going price?

if that is expensive then i should switch back from amsoil to z-1
LOL.gif
but anyways, amsoil made my shifting much better. actually A LOT better. join the alternative route or join the z-1 for life!

I would use the Honda ATF, I always have on my Honda's and with over 456,000accumulated miles on two cars, no failures. Read a post a bit farther down and youwill see that to change the fluid you have to drain and refill it 3 times, operating the transmission through all the gears and reverse a number of times to circulate the fluid. DO NOT use a flushing machine. Each time I only use 3 to 4 quarts so a total flush is about 12 quarts, not much expense compared to a transmission rebuild. I get my fluid at the dealer for about 3.75 a qt.

On the 4 cylinder model, it probably doesn't matter too much but I would still go Amsoil just for peace of mind.

thanks for all the reccomendations. I actually stopped by a local dealer today, 7.75 with tax for a quart. A little more than i wanted to spend, but at least i have it to top off my tranny....

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Buick..why you using ATD? Any specific reason?

I just wanted to try something different and see if I could get even crisper shifts. Plus it has no VIIs which may be good since it's shared with the diff, and it's a little thicker. I do a lot of driving in the hottest parts of the country.

It made the shifts a little crisper but they still can't be felt thanks to the DBW. Hopefully this means less wear on the clutches. I'm going to do one more drain and refill so I can take a sample, change the magnefine filter, and if everything looks good I'm going to try a 50K or more interval.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back