How to keep cats off your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent 2 hours yesterday washing and detailing my truck, only to see this morning that there were muddy cat paw prints on the hood and windshield, and mud and dirt on the roof where a neighbor's cat had spent the night. This isn't the first and won't be the last time this has happened. The neighbors will not keep their cats, dogs or kids indoors so talking to the neighbors about it is not an option.

So does anyone here know of anything I can put aroound my carport to keep the cats off my truck? Like maybe a plant they don't like or soemthing that has a smell that would repel the cats? Any help is greatly appreciated..

Jimmy

I'm going to say this in the most PC way I can think of.

Do something that will cause the offending animal to associate your vehicle with pain and/or terror.

There are sprays to keep pets off plants and even some to keep animals away from furniture. Check with a small animal vet and pet stores. Spray the tires?

Oh, I thought of that. I know you can train cats to stay off the furniture by squirting with them with water and they learn to associate the water with the furniture so they eventually learn to stay off of it. But these cats get on my truck in the middle of the night when I am asleep. I thought of covering my truck with an old sheet or car cover but that is a lot of trouble.

I heard they don't like the smell of mothballs so I may try putting some out around the carport to see what happens. Thanks for the reaponse, I appreciate any other ideas.

Like I said talk to a small animal vet.

There are products that can help. my wife has used two types. one you spray on furniture, the other you spray on plants. I think she got them at the local hardware store or pet store.

Perhaps one of these products can be sprayed on the ground/driveway around teh truck every so oftn until the cat(s) gets the idea.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: saaber1
Originally Posted By: moribundman
Cat versus man. At least birds won't nest on your truck as long as the cat is there.

Speaking of birds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxSex9VxlwI

These ford ka guys are probably not all that popular with PETA I would guess...

The Ka is also not popular with meter maids.
grin2.gif

I called a pest control supply store who told me to get some plants called "Coleus Canina" and put them around the house where I don't want cats to go. Apparently the plants have a smell the cats can't stand. They also said try putting put mothballs. Will try the plants first and see what happens. Thanks for all your help.

They have spinney things that catch wind and are intended for boat roofs, to keep seagulls off. Imagine they attach with suction cups or can be rigged to.

Also you could probably rig up a water solenoid from irrigation supply to one of those $10 motion sensor lights, and a sprinkler...

Yesterday, when I came out of the market some clown was leaning against the side of my car, smoking a cigarette. Got some stinky plant, whirly gizmo or p-spray against that? Oh yeah, it's called a tazer.

I researched the plant online and they say it does have an odor like a skunk. Wonder if it will repel me and the cat too? Will try to get to Home Depot soon and take a look at the plants. There is also a spray you can get but I'd have to keep re-spraying every other day. I hope the plants will do the trick, or else I'll have to mothball my carport and have to keep replacing those every so often, plus they stink too.

This wouldn't be neccessary if the neighbors would be responsible with their animals. No chance of that happening though..

Last edited:
Jimmy, seriously the only way to resolve your problem is to take it up with the neighbours. Don't blame the cat (it's just doing what cats do), blame the irresponsible owner that lets the cat out at night. Most local government councils ( at least in Australia)have laws etc requiring people to ensure that they keep their pets under control (within the boundaries of their property, on a leash (dogs) etc. Is this an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back