Can a Power Washer Inject Water into Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was washing my wheels with a power washer and started wondering. If I put the nozzle too close to the bead, can water be injected into the tire through high pressure?

Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
I was washing my wheels with a power washer and started wondering. If I put the nozzle too close to the bead, can water be injected into the tire through high pressure?

You are not supposed to hose off your tires with high pressure because this alone can very easily damage the sidewalls.

How much pressure are we talking here? I've been washing my vehicles at coin-op car washes for 20 years and have never had a problem. I'd say that if you've achieved enough heat or pressure to hurt tires, you shouldn't be using it on paint either.

I presume you don't aim at the same spot on a tire from 1/4 inch away. I see people hold a high pressure nozzle directly at dirty tires. Spraying from a reasonable distance is not an issue. By the way, I have seen people peel paint of their cars with a high pressure hose. Idiots.

I brush the tires with soapy water to loosen any stuck-on dirt, then hose them of gently.

Ahh nuts. I did not know about the pulsing thing. It is an 1800 PSI Husky. I did get it within an inch or so to wash the dirt off.

The pressure drops of course with increasing distance, and the pulse frequency should eventually become a non-issue. I keep the nozzle about 30 inches away from the tire and I don't aim at the same spot for more than a moment. If you want to know how harsh the water beam is right at the nozzle, hold your fingers there for 20 seconds (at your own risk).

I bet you can easily create hairline cracks in tires, which may eventually cause bloating, delamination etc. I'm not sure if you can detect the damage easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back