SLF transmission fluid code

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

Can anyone point me to a manual transmission fluid that meets the "SLF" transmission specification?

Amsoil online guide states that my saab 9-3 takes an SLF code manual trans fluid. There is a saab part number, 12799117, listed as synthetic manual transmission fluid, but with no other real information that Ive been able to find. While the saab syn fluid may well be the best stuff available, but Id like to decide that for certain.

The most Ive found on the SLF code transmission fluids is as follows:
What is (SLF) fluid?
Many Fast Lube Managers and Lube Technicians are perplexed by the (SLF) automatic transmission fluid recommendation listed in some original equipment manufacturers service manuals. Often the manufacturers service manual provides limited information regarding (SLF) fluid. In most foreign vehicle applications the (SLF) symbol is simply referring to Highly Friction Modified ATF (HFM).

That doesnt help me much... Yes, Ive heard of highly friction modified ATFs, but hey can just as well be Dex III with lubeguard platinum... I want to ensure Ive got the best.

So, can anyone expand on the SLF coding for ATFs, and what the cross to a real matched MT fluid would be?

Thanks!

JMH

Last edited:
You need a VOA on the OE fluid. Simple match the visc with any boutique fully synth MTF and you're all set.

Without knowing visc, its a crappshoot for MTF selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back