mixing dexron-III with Type F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the owner's manual says dexron II or Type F. The factory manual called for Type F. On the dexron III it said replaces Dexron AND Mercon (I believe) I and II.

THis is for the power steering and I siphon with a hand pump because I can't imagine there being a drain plug. Run it for however long and pump out about a cup or two each time and compare to fresh fluid which resembles some strawberry syrup in the kitchen. Or Koolaid if you don't judge viscosity/fluidity/pourability/syrupy/thick......what is the word here??

mj - What is the application? Unusual to see a Type F and/or a Dex II requirement in the newer vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
For a non-Honda PS system it doesn't really matter. Just do the change out trick 4 times or so and call it good.

I'll probably do it until I can't tell the difference between fresh fluid. There is no telling how much fluid left in the rack. This is very likely the original fluid from 20yrs ago.

I have a 1996 Ford Contour which is spec'd for type F ATF in the PS unit. I have done "turkey" baster fluid changes of Type F fluid after ten years of original fluid and so far have not have any problems/leaks with the rack. And the steering has remained great.

Whimsey

I've used Mercon in all my Fords that specified Type F. No problems. I tried Mercon V on the 1996 Contour and that's been working fine for the last year.

Type F is pretty much obsolete. Since Dex is an option, simply pick the best dex/merc fluid you can find. M1 is a great choice. MercV is also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back