Percentage of acetone in fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly, it seems like the percentage should be in the area of 0,2% for gasoline and 0,16% for diesel. It should be some 0,78 milliliters for gasoline and 0,62 milliliters for diesel in each liter. Most people tend to use a lot more when they try it. This will INCREASE fuelconsumption, not reduce it.

Here's a good read: http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm

I used it at a treat rate of 2 ounces per 10 gallons and nothing changed, aside from a smoother idle. Once I quit, the idle wasn't as smooth. I plan to try 3 ounces per 10 gallons to see if anything increases.

Many internet searches about acetone in gas find their way back to La Point.
He has valid ideas, but also just plain wrong ones [straight 40 for best gas mileage?!}.
I have had better idle success with acetone, but I know no one explains exactly why. It will clean things, maybe make the fuel burn better or longer, or lies to the O2 sensor - who knows?
2-4 ounces / 10 gallons gas is the range - not to be exceeded.

I'm yet to find any evidence that adding acetone to the tank will provide noticably higher MPG...so far I think it's an internet myth...but my mind is open to any evidence anyone can point our way...I place this in the same category as adding water to the intake to get gazillion more MPG....

HI!! Guys and gals, this is my first post, i have been surfing here on and off sucking up info, i 'm just trying this acetone out this week , the one think is add 1oz of xylene or xylol in with the 3oz of acetone , for best results so far i have some results but to early to too give the total benefit, i have only driven a half tank and i have seen results considering it was windy -7c today, and i was driving between 60-75 mph , i have an 01 Subaru Forester 2.5L 5-speed 196k,KMS., with cargo carrier on top and carry tools and boxes of cable etc ,cause i work out of my subie,Yes i know what your thinking, i have kept track of what my vehicle normally gets, and right know i'm at 321kms at 1/2 a tank ,my tank is 60l or 13.2 imp. gals., the bottom half of tank probably won't get as good from my experience. I also want add 1 oz, of syn. 2 stroke oil with the mixture to help lubricate.

Last edited:
HI! i bought the vehicle in AUG. with no history record , but i am a maintenance freak and have change all fuilds, and plugs and other parts and actually am on the rinse cycle of auto-rx ,i know i shouldn't be probably using my acetone/xylene mixture, but couldn't wait.

2-4 ounces per 10 gallons? I've run 1.5 gallons of xylene per 10 gallons as an octane booster in the TL and even the GN before I had methanol injection and a gate code to the airport.

Originally Posted By: Vilan
I don't think adding xylene will do anything much.

https://www.cbest.chevron.com/msdsServer...=true&region=NA

Xylene is listed as 1-15% in Chevron gas, I'll guess most companies are the same. Even at the minimum, you'll have a pint or two of xylene in a 10 gallon tank. All day, every day.

A 30% mixture will make 91 roughly 100 octane. I use a 10% mix in the TL because it has a tendency to ping on 91.

I have used acetone in gasoline. I found that about 60 ml (2 oz) per tank (15 gal) was the right amount to bring the fuel economy over 30 mpg in the 2005 Honda CR-V (K24A1) Any more acetone made it worse, and less acetone made no difference. However, ever since the state of NY banned MTBE and switched to Ethanol acetone additive stopped working, and actually lowered fuel economy numbers. I stopped using it since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back