mobil 1 and mobil 1 ep difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there a big difference between regular mobil 1 and mobil 1 ep, the bottle of mobil 1 ep states more additives than regular mobil 1. is the extra money for mobil 1 ep worth it?

I don't think it's worth the extra money. I continue to use the regular M1 formulas. I read somewhere (so take that for whatever its worth!) that the old version has group IV in it whereas the new EP has group III.

yes ive also read mobil 1 ep is group III, i dont understand this if the oil is meant for extended drain intervals

Originally Posted By: turboaccord1
yes ive also read mobil 1 ep is group III, i dont understand this if the oil is meant for extended drain intervals

Niether do I, if it's true. I run the regular M1 and change oil by my OLM system when it's around 20% - which normally hits around 5-6,000 miles. With this interval any oil would do fine, of course.

Mobil 1 Web site

"What is the difference between Mobil 1® Extended Performance and Mobil 1?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance formulas are designed specifically for today's longer service intervals and are guaranteed to protect for up to 15,000 miles or one year.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance has a unique formulation with a boosted level of protection and performance. Mobil 1 Extended Performance, with the Advanced SuperSyn System, contains 50 percent more SuperSyn than Mobil 1. (Updated March 2006)"

From Technilube.com

"Mobil 1 Extended Performance has a unique formulation with boosted level of protection and performance. These formulations with the Advanced SuperSyn System contain 50 percent more SuperSyn, 36 percent more anti-wear additives, and 37 percent more cleaning agents than the current Mobil 1."

I think you have it backwards. Mobil 1 is Group III, while Mobil 1 Extended Performance is group IV.

so mobil 1 is the group III and mobil 1 ep is the group IV

Last edited:
so in everyones opinion which oil provides more overall protection. pennzoil platinum or mobil 1 ep. i would like to know this because mobil 1 ep is substantially more expensive

so in everyones opinion which oil provides more overall protection. pennzoil platinum or mobil 1 ep. i would like to know this because mobil 1 ep is substantially more expensive

Not to get off topic, but how did Platinum enter into this. Thought we are talking about Mobil 1 Vs Mobil 1 EP. In any case Mobil says the EP is designed for 15K oil changes. I've never heard that claim made about regular Mobil 1 or Platinum. If you looking to do 15K oil changes use the EP version.

Originally Posted By: blueiedgod

I think you have it backwards. Mobil 1 is Group III, while Mobil 1 Extended Performance is group IV.

Mobil uses PAO's as a correction fluid. Most of the regular line from what I have read is PAO based. The 5w30/10w30 contains some small amt of Grp III. The EP line is Group III in some grades.

I only use the regular Mobil 1 formula. Never the EP formula. Been using it for about 4 years. But,I keep reading that the HM is one of their best also,here and on other car forums. The specs look good on the HM oils.

ive never used a high mileage oil, what are the advantages?

Usually a little thicker base stock to help with blow-by, a few more detergents to help clean a little, some seal conditioner to soften old hard seals (usually some type of ester).

Last edited:
Since we are talking about Mobil 1, I will tell you of my conversation I had with them last week. I was inquiring about some products for my recently purchased Jeep Wrangler that now has 3,300 miles on it.

Question: Which Mobil 1 product do you recommend.
Answer: Regular Mobil 1 unless I plan on extending oil changes to 15K, and no need for high mileage oil if I start out on Mobil 1.

Question: Can I use Mobil 1 ATF in the automatic transmission & transfer case.
Answer: After being put on hold (I assume to either look in his book or ask someone) the answer was yes I could.

Question: Can I use Mobil 1 LS75W90 in the front & rear differentials.
Answer: Yes I can, but I would need to add the requires LS additive from Mopar.

Question: I thought your 75W90 had this additive.
Answer: It does, but not enough to meet Dana specs. Add the Mopar stuff.

Question: Can I go longer than the recommended 12K without changing out the gear oils if I use Mobil 1 LS75W90.
Answer: No. Do what Mopar recommends.

I left the conversation at that and thanked him for his time.

well the car im talking about is a 1994 honda accord with 196,000 miles. yes thats alot of mileage but the engine has been takin care of very well over the years. it has seen synthetic oil since i bought it at 120,000. it dosnt burn oil. It does leak a bit on the right side of the engine almost in between the engine and tranny but nothing bad. My driving habits are pretty conservative its just my daily driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back