Rim leak, aluminum wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
I just changed a tire on an aluminum rim. After mounting, I filled the tire to 40 psi and checked the tire for leaks with soapy water. I found numerous areas of fine foaming where the tire bead meets the rim, indicating air leaks. I broke the bead, inspected the area, didn't see any problems on either side of the sealing surface (aluminum and rubber), ran some sandpaper over the areas, and remounted the tire with leaks at the same areas.

This is kind of new to me. I don't do a lot of tire changing. Is this something I should worry about? It's not a lot of air. I'm wondering if there's a compound or technique I should be using. Or will it seal itself over time?

my brother has a 3000GT VR-4. It has fancy chromed forged wheels. One of them must have micro corrosion, as the leak, while tiny, shows up time and time again.

His hasnt sealed up over time. The solution thus far has been to keep a bicycle pump with him and check it every so often.

JMH

I'm considering on going over it some more with sandpaper, then putting a coat of clear lacquer on the sealing surface. I'll let it dry a few days before remounting the tire. This wheel has no corrosion.

It's my mom's car and she'll be spending a couple months in Florida with it. She does not check tire pressure. This tire has to be perfect.

How old is the tire? Often bead area of tire will get hard with age and not seal properly. Only DOT approved sealer I'd reccomend is a thick paste (looks, feels like really stiff wheel bearing grease)soap. Comes in 5 and 35 pound buckets. Could probably get a local tire shop to donate/sell a small amount to seal 1 tire.

My personal reccomendation will probably get Capri and a few others throwing fits and castignating me, but,,,,,, apply a light coating of motor oil to bead area. It will cause rubber to breakdown and soften, but just enough to become pliable and seal properly again.

Bob

It's an 8-year-old new tire stored in a garage. It has full tread and even has the original sticker on the tread.

Well, I think we see the problem now. An old, hard tire... it doesn't matter that it is 'new'. It is EIGHT years old.

If it is for your MOTHER, get a new (not an 8 year old 'new' tire), since it "has to be perfect".

yes i've had that a few times were it was the tire bead that wasn't sealing because of deformaties with the bead.

you could try using bead sealer which may solve it, otherwise its a lost cause and you'll need a different tire, or you could always tube it if you need to save money.

After a couple of iterations I decided to use some patience, plus a light film of oil on the problem area. After mounting, there was still some fine bubbles coming from the rim. After a few days, there was no more leak. I imagine some exercise on the car would produce some micromotion to help further with sealing. I may have had a nonissue all along. After all, how many of us check for fine leaks after mounting a tire?

" plus a light film of oil on the problem area."

Dino,Syn, or a syn blend? How much thought was put into choosing the proper viscosity? Go buy a special bead seal oil, or just use some of the product already on hand?

This is an OIL site, after all!
LOL.gif

Bob

Originally Posted By: Kestas
After a couple of iterations I decided to use some patience, plus a light film of oil on the problem area. After mounting, there was still some fine bubbles coming from the rim. After a few days, there was no more leak. I imagine some exercise on the car would produce some micromotion to help further with sealing. I may have had a nonissue all along. After all, how many of us check for fine leaks after mounting a tire?

You may be onto something. On my last two new cars, the tires lost less air after a few thousand miles were on the cars.

I didn't do any scientific measurements, but they seemed to go from a couple of psi/month to 1 psi every 2 or 3 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back