Should I use 1/2 a bottle in two tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
99 Mercury Tracer, 155,000 miles, 10 gal gas tank. Under acceleration the engine sounds loud.

Should I use 1/2 a bottle of Regane in two tanks? Label says one bottle treats up to twenty some gallons of gas.
Thanks, Joe

Joe, are you saying you are treating the gas because the engine sounds loud? If so, you might need to be treating the exhaust system to some new parts, instead. B-)

Sometime today I'll be adding the Regane when the tank hits 1/8 full.

Maybe I shouldn't use the small/large golden apple rule when it comes to cleaning this engine. The small golden apple gives more satisfaction because it's sweeter and I get two days supply for the same price.

Thanks! But I'll probably use 1/2 bottle per tank unless you change my mind by 4:30.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I'd dump it all in.
It says it reats UP to 20.
I like the stronger concentration in 10 gallons. Run her almost dry, though.

Ditto,

Originally Posted By: Titan
Joe, are you saying you are treating the gas because the engine sounds loud? If so, you might need to be treating the exhaust system to some new parts, instead. B-)

That's because I don't really know if the intake valves and injectors need cleaning, but I sure can hear the engine when I'm accelerating. Fuel mileage is 30-31.

If you want a shock treatment add a fuel bottle to half tank, run to almost empty and then completely refill tank.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Originally Posted By: Titan

That's because I don't really know if the intake valves and injectors need cleaning, but I sure can hear the engine when I'm accelerating. Fuel mileage is 30-31.

Your perception of "loud" can indeed be related to either combustion deposits or fouled injectors. Some engines can sound like a coffee can full of rocks under hard acceleration. Regane COMPLETE is a decent product. Amsoil PI is a great product for this type of periodic treatment.

Thanks, Gary.
It doesn't sound anything like that so maybe it is the muffler after all. Just imagine listening to each cylinder's every power stroke any time I'm accelerating.

Another reason I wanted to clean the engine is I read poor injector spray pattern causes carbon deposits.

jorton,

how do you know you have poor injector spray pattern? it is impossible for anyone to know that unless fuel mileage is severely bad and even that can be caused by many other factors.

i am very skeptical on supplement additives and can't understand ho w people can use their perceive performance increase as the result of the products.

i just use shell, gitco, chevron, and texaco gas so i don't have to worry about that stuffs.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
jorton,

how do you know you have poor injector spray pattern? it is impossible for anyone to know that unless fuel mileage is severely bad and even that can be caused by many other factors.

i am very skeptical on supplement additives and can't understand ho w people can use their perceive performance increase as the result of the products.

i just use shell, gitco, chevron, and texaco gas so i don't have to worry about that stuffs.

So I finished the first tank, replaced the factory(!) fuel filter and used the last half bottle of Regane in the current tank of gas. Half way through this tank and the car is in the shop with #4 cylinder dead. The mechanic is checking compression Monday. At 4:30 Friday when I turned the key, the starter made a grinding noise for a split second before the engine fired, and then rough running. I drove it 5 blocks to the shop.

Question is: Hydrolock. Could an injector stick open letting fuel into the cylinder after I turned off the engine at 8am.
Thanks, Joe

Car is running fine at the moment. The shop wanted a minimum of $580 to open up the engine and make repairs. Had it towed to the house. The motor had jumped time and the (2 week old)Gates timing belt was loose. Can't understand why it did that when the new tensioner was still tight. Also can't understand why there was no internal damage done to this "interference" engine.

Anyone with experience on this type 4cyl SOHC engine with timing belt please educate me because I don't know what's going on with this car. Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back