2001 Chevy 2500 Suburban 8.1litre oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey gang...
I am not new to investigating the best fluids for my vehicles, but I am new to understanding the finer details. I recently bought this Suburban for towing from an aquaintance who had ALL of the service records for the truck since it was new. He towed a boat at 5100 lbs plus used it as a daily driver and I tow a car hauler and car at 6800 lbs and very little else. It now has 104,931 miles on it. I drive it around 500 mi/month. It has always had M1 5w-30 in it and never used any oil. I put roughly 4k miles on the truck and changed the oil. Now after my 1st oil and filter change (M1 5w-30, M1 filter as always) and 700 miles the truck is a 1/2 quart low - and it has only towed about 200 miles of that. That motor has a skid playe under it and I can't tell if it is leaking - the top of the motor is clean (valve covers).

I live in NW GA where we have less than 30 days a year below 32 deg and 90 days above 80deg and last year a dozen days abouve 100. WHat should I try - differnt synthetic? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hank

Last edited:
You dont need 5w30 in your climate, try Maxlife 10w30 it stopped a rear main seal leak in my Jeep. I have a friend who used Amsoil in a Ford van and it burned a quart every 3,000 miles , he changed to Maxlife blend and it completely stopped the consumption. This was 10w30 Amsoil vs. 10w30 Maxlife Blend.

That engine is notorious for Oil Consumption. One thing that can make it seriously worse is a blocked PCV valve, or there was a period of several years when Chevy used too narrow an OEM PCV valve.
The cure for either is to replace the PCV valve.

Who makes maxlife? Is it a synthetic blend? I would really like to stick to synthetic since iut sits so much.

I will pull the PCV valve and replace it today.

I believe there is a Maxlife conventional and a Maxlife synthetic blend. It is made by Valvoline and tends to give excellent results.

Another thing you might consider is to use a bottle of Valvoline's Maxlife Engine Stop Leak. Many people on this site, including me, have had excellent results with it. The fluids that come in contact with engine seals can promote hardening and shrinking or they can promote swelling and softening, and the Maxlife is a proven product that can very significantly restore seal function. It isn't snake oil. It comes in a small rust-colored plastic bottle, probably about 10oz, and you might find it at Wal-Mart or might have to go to an auto place. In my area Pep Boys carries it.

Finally, if you want to stick with synthetic, there are lots of good choices. Penzoil Platinum seems to get excellent results, and if you want to go to the trouble, Amsoil oils have been doing exceptionally well lately.

You're right, syn blend/full syn not conventional/syn blend as I'd thought. Although the syn blend is probably Grp III syn + Grp II which a lot of conventional oils supposedly are as well, so who knows how much of the difference is just semantic at this point.... I do think from what I've seen here that it's a first-rate oil in either form.

Try M1 10-30 High Mileage Syn LINK or Valvoline Maxlife 10-30 Synthetic LINK .

I like using WIX filters on my Chevy V-8's.

Try changing out the PCV valve as suggested earlier.

If the engine has had a diet of Syn it's whole life, I would stick to syn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back