Ovaltine versus Ovomaltine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year someone claimed both products were identical. I got a hold of a jar of Ovomaltine made in Switzerland by the original Swiss manufacturer Wander. I compared it to the Ovaltine bought in the US, which is made under license by Novartis and distributed by Himmel Corp. It doesn't say where Ovaltine is made.

To your left left you have Ovaltine, which is pretty bland and tastes similar to Nesquik, if I remember correctly. To your right you have Ovomaltine, which has a more gritty texture, is considerably darker, less sweet with a richer flavor. The ingredients list is similar, but not identical. Ovaltine contains for example molasses.

ovaltine_comparo.jpg

Yeap. In the past, I've bought Ovaltine at ethnic food markets for that reason. The foreign sourced Ovaltine is richer tasing, but my kids hate it. Go figure.

Calpis (cowpi$$) and Pocari Sweat are not bad. Typical Japanese hydrating drinks.

As far as US brands go, I like R.W Knudesen beverages. They don't contain HFCS, added sugar, artificial sweeteners or coloring agents. Their 'Recharge' drink is vastly superior to chemically loaded garbage like Gatorade.

'Recharge' ingredients (Orange): filtered water, white grape, orange and lemon juice concentrates, sea salt, beta carotene (for color); sweetened only with fruit juice

http://www.knudsenjuices.com/

Originally Posted By: moribundman
To your left left you have Ovaltine, which is pretty bland and tastes similar to Nesquik, if I remember correctly. To your right you have Ovomaltine, which has a more gritty texture, is considerably darker, less sweet with a richer flavor. The ingredients list is similar, but not identical. Ovaltine contains for example molasses.
Hmmm... the difference is clear *Ben Stein voice*. Thank you for that interesting information moribundman. I will take it under consideration.

I'm having a flash forward of Julian standing in shorts and sandals on a beach, rubbing powdered, malted chocolate beverage concentrate into nubile women's eyes while chanting in a monotone voice.

I'm having a flash forward of Julian standing in shorts and sandals on a beach, rubbing powdered, malted chocolate beverage concentrate into nubile women's eyes while chanting in a monotone voice.
Wow.

Pocari Sweat is very good when you are sick. Calpis is very refreshing in a blistering heat. Of course, one small can won't do for a Hun like me.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
"Why don't they call it Oraltine?"

I almost tried Horlicks in Hong Kong. It would have cost me, though.

I tried it in Cancun. It was well worth the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back