Isuzu Rodeo Valvetrain Noise : Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just sold my Civic. Purchased a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo with the 3.2 V6 Engine for a really good price. It has 76,000 miles and suffers from the famous Isuzu "Valvetrain Noise". I put lots of money and time in finding the correct oil to fix this problem. I also wanted to find the perfect oil for my new SUV. The rodeo was well taken care of by the previous owner. I started with 5W20 Castrol GTX flush driving approximately 500 miles. The oil was dumped and filled with Castrol GTX 10w30 with a Wal-Mart filter. The truck ran great. Valvetrain noise subsided a great deal and gas mileage was 20 mpg in the city. I ran this oil for 1,000 miles and it was dumped and filled with Havoline 10w30 with a wal-mart filter. This oil made the valvetrain sound even worse than ever. I was embarrassed to drive the truck. It was dumped after 500 miles and bought Mobil Delvac 1300 15W40 with a wal-mart filter. This oil also made the valvetrain extremely noisy and the truck very sluggish. My gas mileage went down to 15 mpg. I also only drove this oil for 500 miles and dumped it. I did a little more research and bought Castrol (since my Isuzu likes it) Syntec Blend 5W30 since the thicker oil was worse than thinner oil. I also fitted on a wal-mart filter. It has been 300 miles and the truck loves this oil. Gas Mileage is back up to 20 mpg and the valvetrain noise has subsided. Any reason brands of oil makes such a difference? And do you recommend me to stick with Syntec Blend 5w30 or try Syntec Blend 10w30 next? Or just go back to plain old Castrol GTX 10w30? Comments appreciated.

Check your owner's manual. In '99, the 3.2 may have gone to solid cam followers similer to the 3.5 engine. See if a valve adjustment is required at 60K. If this is the case, you may need an adjustment depending upon mileage.

If your 3.2 has hydraulic cam followers, they have been known to clog and not "pump up" causing ticking noises. The Isuzu recommended fix was to run Mobil 1 0w-30 oil in the engine to dissolve the crud, and then go back to the recommended 10w-30 oil.

With our Trooper I have found the 40 weight oils have a noticeable affect on gas mileage and performance. There are high pressure oiling systems that respond to thinner oils that flow well. I use 5w-40 in summer in our hot climate since it probably thins enough, especially towing our boat.

I'm pretty sure your problem is using the heavier grade of oil than is required for your truck.

Use 5w30 or 10w30 only.

Maybe try another oil filter instead of the Wallmart brand.

My moms 96 trooper was ran on conventional oil for the first 11k of its life and then switched to s2k amsoil 0w30. Ran on s2k till about 50k and then switched to M1 5w30. When it hit 60k it had bad valvetrain noise on and off. From about 80k to 125k continued to run M1 with a can of restore and
I hated to run M1 with any kind of additive but it kept it quieter. After all that I found this site and tried German Castrol and it keeps it quiet with no aditives!!! I know its overkill but its at 140k and on its third interval with GC changed at 3k intervals. Never have done an analyisis but its keepin it quiet so ill continue using it. Well see if it keeps it quiet when cold weather comes. Other than the noisy valvetrain it once had its been very reliable.

Ive found that Torco's oils made my car the quietest ever. You might want to take a look into that. I reckon its all the Moly...

Check your owner's manual. In '99, the 3.2 may have gone to solid cam followers similer to the 3.5 engine. See if a valve adjustment is required at 60K. If this is the case, you may need an adjustment depending upon mileage.

Thanks for the reply Geoff: My manual does not call for valvetrain adjustment at 60,000 miles. Good suggestion. You say that you have been using 5w40 weight oil in your trooper. What brand? How bad has your gas mileage gone down.

I'm pretty sure your problem is using the heavier grade of oil than is required for your truck.

Use 5w30 or 10w30 only.

Maybe try another oil filter instead of the Wallmart brand.

Thanks for the reply: I will try another filter instead of Wal-Mart. I will go with a Purolator next run. I have read many posts that state heavier oil subsides valvetrain noise. You suggest to only use 5w30 or 10w30 only?

My Trooper with the 3.5 likes the Castrol 10w-30 as well. Used to use 1 - 1.5 qt per 3k oci with Mobil 1, Havoline, etc. Started Auto-Rx, in 1k miles has not used more than a VERY small amount of the Castrol GTX. This may be what I run in it after the treatment is done.

My neighbor has a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo V6 3.2. She stopped over this morning to ask me a question. She was driving her Rodeo and it was purring like a kitten. No ticking noise at all in the engine. I asked her what type of oil/viscosity she uses. She has 86,000 miles and has been using Pennzoil 10w40 since brand bnew. Maybe this oil/viscosity tends to be the secret to the valvetrain noise. I may try this oil next in my Rodeo. If it doesnt work...I will stay with Castrol GTX 5W-30 in the Rodeo.

Hmmmm... If its lifter noise Auto-Rx might clean them. Worth a shot anyway.

The Oil Filter would be suspect if it was a start-up problem (ADBV). On going noise would not be filter related.

Generally Hydraulic Lifters like thinner oils. Heavier oils will tend to mask the noise but may make the actual problem worse.

Gene

I will be trying Pennzoil 10W40 next change and will see if the valvetrain noise improves. I live in Florida and I hear from BITOG that Pennzoil 10W40 is a thin 40 weight oil. This just may be what the truck needs. As far as gas mileage with 5w30 is 20 mpg city/highway. I have no clatter or ticking at startup so my oil filter is doing its job correctly.

Mobil 1 OW-30 should eliminate the noise AND improve fuel mileage. This product was the specific fix chosen by Honda and Isuzu for the noise problem with the hydraulic lifters in the Passport/Rodeo.

learn5th: I am using Rotella T synthetic 5w-40. Mileage is about 14 vs about 15 with 30 weights. Oil consumption is same as Mobil 1 10w-30 (1 qt per 3.5K in around town driving).

I went with the 40 weight as 10w-40 is recommended in the UK for the 3.2. In Europe, the assumptions are slightly different from the US from what I gather: longer drain periods (more chance for fuel dilution and oil shear) and higher speed driving conditions (higher oil temps). Mobil recommends its 50 weight multigrades in Australia (very hot and no speed limits in some areas). Castrol recommends 10w-40 or 15w-40 in Australia for the 3.2.

My conclusion is that 40 weight is good if you know that hot temps will be predominant and you don't do a lot of short trips - less than 20 mins. If not, the oil is otherwise running at a fuel using high viscosity for most trips.

I don't have the shop manual in front of me, but as I recall the spec for oil pressure is 65 psi at 3000 rpm for the 3.5. This is highish spec on a hot engine. I think 30 weight is right for most, unless the oil gets hot often (eg hot climate and high load).

[ November 01, 2004, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Geoff ]

UPDATE: Comments welcome as always....

Decided to change the oil to Pennzoil 10W40 like my neighbor did in her truck with the new Fram X2 filter at Wal-Mart. I drove 1,000 miles with this oil and I have BAD valvetrain noise. Even worse than the Delo 1300 15w30 that was used previously. Was reading a Ford Forum and read that the new Valvoline Durablend 10w30 actually quiet some of the 4.6 modular motors to almost nothing. Will be changing out the Pennzoil tonight for some Durablend. I will post any changes. Hope to help others with my results.

I FOUND THE PERFECT OIL AND FILTER FOR OUR ISUZUS....

Valvoline Durablend 10W30 and XG Fram Filter

It has been 1,000 miles and the Isuzu is running the best it has ever ran. The valvetrain noise is completely gone. The engine purrs like a kitten and has absolutely no lifter tick whatsoever. My gas mileage even went up to 23 mpg. This has been the smoothest running oil I have ever used. No startup noise when cold and no oil consumption to date with this oil. The truck even feels more powerful and smooth when driving. If you have an Isuzu...you must try this combination.

quote:

Originally posted by learn5th:
I FOUND THE PERFECT OIL AND FILTER FOR OUR ISUZUS....

Valvoline Durablend 10W30 and XG Fram Filter

Valvoline and fram? LOL! that's blasphemy on this site!
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back