5W-40 - Castrol or amsoil whats better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castrol 5w-40 is the only 5w-40 I don't like. Try Mobil 1 5w-40, 10w-30 Hi-Miles or German Syntec 0w-30. There is a new oil at the VW dealer just for your car, SLX Pro 5w-30. You have to ask for/order it.

thanks for the fast reply. i have used amsoil asl in the past in my other cars but this is my first new car and i want the best. im going to change the oil at 3000 for the first oil change. i will try to get a uoa for it. has any one done one on the 2.5

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Saab9-3
Out of curiosity whats so bad about the 5w40 Castrol? What makes the amsoil so much better.

Just about everything. It'll run longer and protect better under more stressful conditions.

RI RS4 has put many 5W-40 oils through some serious torture in his Audi with direct fuel injection and tubocharged engine. He has done many used oil analysis on these oils with the respected Terry Dyson. I don't remember the discussion in detail of all the oils he tested, but apparently the Amsoil held up somewhat better than the Castrol in his severe-type use, which included track days, IIRC. That's not to say the Castrol is not a decent product and I would not hesitate to use it in a daily driver if it meets the required OEM spec and can be had at a decent price.

I think in his case he has found his holy grail of oil in the renewable lubes product lineup, a bio-lube blender with a unique add pack that does extremely well in engines with fuel dilution issues, such as the newest Audi's and BMW's.

Hi,
with such a new car you are most wise if you only use one of the Approved Lubricants - there are many

Castrol's latest range of synthetic lubricants including their "premium" 0w-40 and 5w-40 viscosities have VW-Audi, MB, Porsche and BMW Approvals and are Listed as such. Castrol is the engine development lubricant of VW-Audi and BMW of course. The extensive development work done by Castrol's Engineers with VW-Audi's development Engineering is truely mind bogling!!

Audi Factory dealerships here all run Castrol's 5w-40 exclusively in ALL engines

Amsoil's products are not Approved and not Listed

Regards
Doug

I'd say to look at amsoil or RLI for a good 5w-40 for your car. That said, given that it is a VW with a set of screwey oil specs, Id likely look to using the correct spec oil for warranty reasons, at least for a year or two while any potential issues shake out...

JMH

Without a doubt, Amsoil. If you wish to run something else consider the Mobil 1 0-40. The castrol has shown sludging in the bimmer forums.

Jared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back