What is motorcraft Gold coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of aftermarket antifreeze is the same as the factory fill of motorcraft gold? I don't want to pay the stealership that much.

How is Zerex G-05 distrubuted? What brands should I look for and specifically what type of brand, there are so many different types of prestone, peak, etc.....

Is the supertech yellow coolant G-05?

No, Zerex G-05 is the one you need to look for. I've seen it at Napa and AutoZone stores. The dye in the G-05 fluid is a bit weaker than the Premium Gold but it's the same fluid.

Supertech/Prestone/etc "universal" fluid is NOT the same stuff.

Normal price for the Zerex G-05 seems to be around $12 (US) for the full strength (non-premix).
Autozone started carrying it again.
CarQuest also carries it.
Zerex is a brand name, just like Prestone is.
They make several types of coolant, so make sure to get the one that is labeled "G-05", should be in a gold colored container.
They also have a very informative website.

At this time,there are not many G-05 brands on the market in the USA.
Prestone and Peak do not make one at this time.

Last edited:
Instead, Prestone and Peak claim that their proprietary corrosion inhibitors are just as good as G-05 and compatible with the cooling system components.

Are there test strips that can be used with the gold coolant? I know there are for the green coolant, but I'm not sure if they could also be used with the gold stuff.

At Allied Tire, we were all given a tube filled with test strips. The test strip changed color, and there was a comparison of colors on the tube. It listed different needs for regular coolant and for long life coolant.

Thanks for the info. I was going to test the coolant before I added a coolant filter to my truck ('02 F350 w/PSD). I think I'll go ahead and drain/flush the system and replace the thermostat at the same time that I add the filter setup. I'm still just under 60K miles on the truck. The way prices are going, this truck is going to have to last a long, long time.

Hi

I believe that Mopar "LONG LIFE" is also a G-05 family memeber although it has a orange like dye added.

Not that it's a cheaper alternative, but just to throw out there to you and others of your options. Mercedes Coolant is also a G-05 alternative along with the others already mentioned. (Mopar HOAT, Zerex G-05, and Motorcraft G-05). Much discussed topic at my Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club forum.

This quote was taken froma Mercedes forum...

Quote:
Zerex G-05 vs. the real Mercedes coolant
I had an e-mail exchange with the tech folks at Valvoline that I thought some of you might be interested in reading. The Zerex G-05 and the Mercedes coolant apparently are not identical, but probably close enough for government work.

ME: Is Zerex G-05 identical to the Mercedes branded coolant that I would buy at a dealership? Also, since it seems like AutoZone no longer carries Zerex G-05, where can I find it in my area?

ZEREX: Yes, the Zerex G-05 is the approved coolant for the Mercedez Benz application. Our biggest supplier for the product is Carquest Auto Parts. Other options include Napa, Auto Zone, Advance, O'Reilly's, & Pep Boys. If these places don't carry the product, please just ask them to order it for you.

ME: Thank you for your reply. Is the Zerex G-05 identical to the Mercedes branded coolant? Earlier this year there was a rebate on the purchase of the Zerex G-05. Are there any plans for a repeat of that promotion in the works?

ZEREX: It is not IDENTICAL, but the Mercedez formulation and Zerex G-05 are 100% compatible. I am not sure about promotions. Please give our hotline a call at 1-800 TEAM VAL and ask for promotions for this information.

Also note:
Quote:
What vehicles use Zerex G-05 in the factory fill and what is the dye color?

1984 Mercedes and beyond (light yellow)
1990 Deere and Company vehicles and beyond (green)
2001 Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep and beyond (orange)
2002 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury trucks and SUVS and beyond (yellow)
2003 Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury automobiles and beyond (yellow)
What aftermarket products are approved by Ford and Chrysler?

Ford, Lincoln, Mercury brands - Ford Motorcraft Gold and Zerex G-05
Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep brands - Mopars 5/100 Antifreeze and Zerex G-05

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back