e20 91 octane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 03 Jetta GLI, 24v vr6. Requires min 91 octane.

I was wondering if I could use e-20 91 octane?

I read an article suggesting that it may increase mpg as opposed to a decrease with e-10. But when I went to the pump, it said only for use in flex fuel vehicles which contradicts the article. (not all test vehicles were flex fuel)

I don't want to damage anything of course.

You could check with the service manager at the dealer, but I'd wager that you can't use E20. The fuel system of flexfuel vehicles are made special for that high alcohol content; yours isn't.

I'd use as pure gas as possible. Alcohol has roughly 1/2 the energy of gasoline, and even though the octane is OK, the power and gas mileage is not.
Besides, like dwendt said, your engine is not specifically made for such high alcohol concentrations. Emergency use would be OK, of course.

I think that the RFG mandate in our area makes fuel E15. And I grew up around Gasohol. It was bad then, it's bad now. That's the real world talking.

Besides, it's food, not fuel.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
You asked if you could us e-20, the answer is no!
That seemed to be the point of your post.

Sorry, I guess I wouldn't consider 20% to be high.

Are stating this cause you know or is it your opinion?

I ask because I don't think there are to many flex fuel vehicles that require 91 Octane. So I wouldn't think there would be a big market for it unless someone like me could use it.

There are some things here that just aren't adding up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back