Can I leave my car sit for a long time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I let my car sit for 3 or 4 months, is the oil going to turn to sludge? Will the seals rot?

My parents keep saying, "You'll kill your car," but I think that's ridiculous. It's in a garage. It's protected from the elements.

Your thoughts?

No,if your storing a car for a few months,it wont hurt a thing. I store my Mustang during the winter months.

All I do before storage time is: Change oil and filter,fill gas tank completely up and add STABIL to the fuel. Take out the battery,throw in a dryer sheet into the interior and when spring comes around,she'll be ready to rock 'n roll
banana2.gif

no, it will be OK. Make sure fluids are topped up and tires are not leaky.

The battery will be the biggest issue. If you can disconnect it and bring it inside to constant temperature (like a basement), that would be smart.

JMH

I park my car every winter for approximately 6 months for about 20 yrs. I have never removed my battery ever and my car never fails to start after sitting for 6 months. I never start it up either during storage, its sitting in a cold building on insulated concrete. Only thing I do it changed the oil a week before I store it and use a car cover. No fuel stabilizer either, the one time I did that the car ran terrible the next spring.

Heck, how long to do vehicles sit on dealer lots before someone buys it. There are people up here in da UP of Michigan that summer here and winter down South. Many have vehicles they leave up here during the winter that have never been anywhere else.

You are right, that is a ridiculous assumption. I know someone (OEM Owner) with a 1978 Corvette that is stored almost all the time, only out when the sun shines. Car is like new.

I store my Camaro from first salt/sand to first big rain after no more salt/sand. +1 on the battery on trickle charge, Sta-Bil, & oil change.

IIRC, it's a bad thing to store a battery directly on concrete. I don't remember how it works, but the battery will discharge & sulphate the plates.

Other than that, your parents aren't correct (this time).

Last edited:
Schmoe is right.

We ran a boat storage facility for about 20 years. Many of those rigs sat for 8-9 months before being fired up again.

If put away properly units can sit a long time.

It's the brakes and battery that suffer the most. If stored indoors, the brakes won't suffer as much. The battery should be disconnected and trickle charged every three months. If stored outdoors, exercise the car at least once a month.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
Heck, how long to do vehicles sit on dealer lots before someone buys it.

I tried that argument and my mom said, "Don't you think they move those cars around? They are constantly rearranging their parking lots."

Then yesterday my dad showed me Marilyn Vos Savant article, and read it to me, wherein she said the car must be driven every month or the seals will dry out. I asked, "Is this woman a mechanic? What does she know about cars?"

Then he got mad. My dad's a bit of a hothead.
Or more succinctly:
Arsehole.

I then decided to come here and get some EXPERT advice from people who know, rather than believe some woman in Parade magazine. I'm glad to hear that I have nothing to worry about. I can now tell my parents to stop nagging me.

I think the battery on concrete advice is well out of date. 75 years ago, batteries had different case material, and would suffer if left on concrete.

Seals will not dry out in 1 month...most people up here store their motorcycle for 4-5 months at a time w/o any seal issues. My bike is 26 years old and has been stored for this 4-5 month period every year since new...and none of the seals leak oil currently. All I do is stabilize the fuel with a little bit of sea foam (b/c of carburetors)and put the battery in the basement and keep it charged. I usually change the engine oil either when I put it away or take it out of storage and change all the other fluids in the spring.

Store your car and don't worry about it...the biggest thing is keeping the battery charged. (batteries age when they are low on charge)

Originally Posted By: rrrrrroger
Mike_dup1 said:
Then yesterday my dad showed me Marilyn Vos Savant article, and read it to me, wherein she said the car must be driven every month or the seals will dry out.

I don't remember where I read this, but it's still funny.

"Ms Vos Savant isn't as smart as she thinks she is. There is no shame in that though, because no one is as smart as she thinks she is."

I'd put the car on blocks. Wheel bearings don't like being stationary with 1 1/2 tons resting on them. Tires develop flat spots.

My son will be headed back to Afghanistan late Feb Early March. He will have to leave his car outside on his base in WA for at least 6-9 months w/o leaving anyone access to it. I wish I could take the car home to NY for that period of time but it's impossible.

He recently changed the oil and is running Mobil 1 in the car, the oil will have about 1,500 miles on it when he leaves.

My suggestion to him was: Wash and apply 2 good coats of wax, add 1 qt MMO to the gas and fill the tank. Take the car for about a 30 minute drive, find a good parking spot on the base, park it and disconnect the battery. Toss a few dryer sheets in it, and leave a window cracked open slightly, just enough so rain can't enter the car. He won't be able to put the car on blocks, or remove the battery for storage.

Any other suggestions or omissions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank D

Get the weight off of the tires, if possible. Some tires will take a set - they may get better with driving, or not.
Keep the battery charged.
Store it with fresh oil and a full tank of fuel, with StaBil gas stabilizer in it. In 3-4 months gas will start to go bad otherwise.
And most of all, enjoy the car you don't drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back