Where are freeze plugs in a K1500 350TBI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the freeze plugs in my '95 GMC K1500 w/ 350TBI.

Where are they located?

Any special tips or suggestions that would help me out?

Thanks

there are some on both sides of the block and a couple on the back of the block, trans would have to be taken out to access these.

IIRC, there are two on each side (one is behind the motor mount), two in the front below the block/head interface and a couple in the back.

The ones in the back are only accessible once the engine/transmission are split.

To remove them, you need to punch a hole in them and pry them out. Or you can punch them in and then pry them out. Don't just push them in and leave them there.

Getting new ones in can be a challenge as they need to be hammered in. If the engine is in the vehile, the hard one would be the one behind the motor mount. I made a plate with the same bolt pattern as the motor mount and used the plate, a socket and bolts to draw up and press the plug in place.

It's strange, but I've only seen the side plugs leak. Very rarely have I seen the front and rear plugs leak....not to say that they don't.

Over 20 years ago, we replaced some in a Ford 302 with expanding rubber plugs made for this purpose. Is that acceptable?

I replaced several leakers on an '87 Caprice. That job was no fun. I had to remove at least one of the motor mounts, maybe both. I used the rubber expansion plugs Tosh mentioned for those, and occasionially tightened the nuts a bit for the rest of the time I drove the car. Considering the difficulty of punching out the originals with the engine in the car, I knew there would be no way of getting a real freeze plug back in. I'm not sure why that engine had so many leaky plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back