2001 F150 supercrew 4x4 5.4L V-8 experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to look at a used one tonight, about 84K miles, loaded, one owner. Any commonly known problems, and first hand gas mileage. This truck gets really good reviews from owners at both Edmunds, and KBB. Thanks in advance.

We have 3 2001 same models at work. All 3 have had major transmission, power steering, brakes and door problems.

The plastics in the interior are also very poor.

Of all of our work fleet, they are the worst. They also have the lowest miles since they are always in need of repair.

I'm sure the average employees "love" of work vehicles have had some reason for the problems, but other years and models do last ALOT longer with same use.

Take care, bill

I had a 2000 model with a 5.4. As stated, the trannys aren't great. I think most came with a 4R70W. Before buying, do a search about the 5.4 Tritons spitting spark plugs. I don't think they fixed that until 2003. Evidently Ford didn't put enough threads into the head, and it would spit the plugs and it was an expensive fix. I got about 12-13 MPG with 50/50 highway and city driving.

A friend of mine bought a 2001 SuperCrew 5.4L 4WD model a few months back with around 90,000 miles on it. No complaints so far from him. He loves the truck.

My cousin had a 1999 Super Cab 4WD with the 5.4L. I can't remember how many miles it had when he sold it, but he had it a few years and he drives 30,000+ miles a year. This truck was used as a work truck. There were no mechanical issues with the truck, but there were some issues with the body. The rear window leaked when it rained...pretty bad too. Some interior panels broke as well. The truck was worked pretty hard. He had bought two 4.2L F-150s prior to this one that were excellent trucks. One was totalled by a drunk driver, but the other one racked up somewhere around 200,000 miles by the time it was sold. Both he and his wife say that their 1998 F-150 4.2L was their second favorite vehicle (their 1998 Mustang was their most favorite).

Personally, I really like these trucks. They would be my first consideration if I was looking for a 1/2 ton. The transmissions may not last as long in this application, but you see automatics fail in a lot of full size trucks across the board. The 4L60E and Dodge transmissions don't exactly have the greatest track records in 1/2 ton trucks either. They have to move around very heavy vehicles and they just don't take well to abuse or lack of maintenance when they are already doing more work than most automatics. If you look at how transmission like the 4L60E and 4R70W do in smaller applications, like Blazers and Explorers, they last a very long time on average. I bet with a trans cooler and half decent maintenance these transmissions can last plenty long in a 1/2 ton.

If you buy it, drop and clean the trans pan and install a new filter. Install a universal drain plug into the pan while it is off. It is really easy to do.

Top it off with Mercon V, and the trans should be fine.

Good luck

We have a few '01 supercab models in our fleet at work. All recieve quality service (inspected and maintained every 3000 miles along with all the other heavy duty services) and are over 100,000 miles at this point. No major mechanical issues. We've also got a '97 that everyone hates (bad brakes) and a bunch of 2005 F150's that have been fine. In fleet service, we're getting around 13.5-14 mpg out of the F150's with 5.4l engines.

I've got a '99 F150 with the 4.6 that is over 165,000 miles now. My only complaint is I'm starting to get some rust on one of my extended cab doors. Other than that, I have no complaints and zero reasons to not recommend one.

I have not been without a Ford truck since 1963
Currently I own 5 of them
If you use a truck as a car several will do OK but if you use it as a truck FORD Trucks are #1 and have been for every year but one since 1963

Originally Posted By: Black Bart
FORD Trucks are #1 and have been for every year but one since 1963

No, not really. GM sells more trucks year after year.

I build houses with my GM truck, and it does just fine.

My mom bought a 2001 supercrew 5.4 with 80,000 miles from my father-in-law's construction company. 30,000 miles later, she's had no major problems, just the usual maintenance and a rear pinion seal.

Her truck is equipped with as much factory heavy-duty shenanigans as one can get without buying an F250 instead, that may have had some impact on the reliability while it was a work truck. Certainly it's more than capable of doing what it's currently asked. :)

Gas mileage is dismal, especially with the towing differential. The interior plastics are pretty cheap, but it's very comfortable to drive, even on long (1000 miles) trips.

Last edited:
Get one with the 4.6L motor.

Change the transmission fluid every year, and put a cooler on it.

The truck will run forever..

Those trucks are hard on brakes also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back