Shell V-Power Fuel System Cleaner MSDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. On paper, it doesn't seem very impressive, but I've got a bottle here ready to go in, so we'll see.

At least it was free (if SOPUS ever gets off their butt and sends my rebate).

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
I agree. On paper, it doesn't seem very impressive, but I've got a bottle here ready to go in, so we'll see.

At least it was free (if SOPUS ever gets off their butt and sends my rebate).

That's strange. I received my rebate check for this faster than any other. Got it in less than 2 weeks.

I was unimpressed when I saw the MSDS as well. But on the other hand, I’ve got a bottle in the tank right now, and by seat of the pants, it’s better than either Techron or Regane. The bottle does mention “friction modifiers” or some such, similar to what they say about V-Power gas. Perhaps this doesn’t show up in the MSDS (maybe it just shows up as distillates or some generic thing), and it is responsible for the seat of the pants feel I’m getting.

There were many positive remarks about this on the other thread about this additive, as well. One person said it cured his hesitation at idle within 20 miles of usage. That’s pretty good, if you ask me. Another person said that after 4 days of use, it’s his new favorite (over Techron). Yet another person said his CRV liked it, even after a ton of FI cleaners. There are more...

There must be something more to it than the 1 to 5% amines shown in the MSDS.

The bottle I have in the tank was free after the rebate (which I got pretty darn quickly). I just bought two more bottles at Pep Boys, where there is a “get a $10 shell gas card if you buy two bottles if the FI cleaner” rebate going on. They were $8 each, so this reduces the price to $3 per bottle.

Originally Posted By: psudaytona
"Friction modifiers", I wonder if that means some sort of upper cylinder lube?

It is the Naphthalene (per the MSDS), which is a Chlorinated Hydrocarbon.

Originally Posted By: Jax_RX8
Originally Posted By: psudaytona
"Friction modifiers", I wonder if that means some sort of upper cylinder lube?

It is the Naphthalene (per the MSDS), which is a Chlorinated Hydrocarbon.

Naphthalene on its own is not a chlorinated hyrdrocarbon, its just C10H8
It can be a rust inhibitor.

1-chloronaphthalene is a chlorinated hydrocarbon.

Last edited:
the naphthalene is just from the blend stock used a fuel cut, the tallow amine is what does the work both as a lube enhancer and a injector cleaner, by reacting with the acidic, gum,varnish, gunk on the injetor nozzle it removes it.
bruce

Originally Posted By: bruce381
the naphthalene is just from the blend stock used a fuel cut, the tallow amine is what does the work both as a lube enhancer and a injector cleaner, by reacting with the acidic, gum,varnish, gunk on the injetor nozzle it removes it.
bruce

Well, that about sums it up!

As always, thanks Bruce!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back