Berryman B12 Chemtool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think about the B12 Chemtool Fuel Injector cleaner.

It is sold in a large 16 ounce bottle for 2.50 at walmart.

I have been running it at 5k intervals in my saturn, and haven't noticed a change either positive or negative.

How does it compare to those "boutique" fuel cleaners such as fuel power.

B12 is a pretty harsh cleaner, if I remember right. I wouldn't run that one more than once a year.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
B12 is a pretty harsh cleaner, if I remember right. I wouldn't run that one more than once a year.

I second this opinion. I have read on this forum and another forum I hang out in that the B12 stuff is extremely harsh and as such, it's use should be limited. I personally wouldn't use this stuff in my rides.

I know Amsoil has one that is highly recommended here. Or a lower cost fuel treatment that I have heard good about is the Gumout (only the Regane one) and the good old standby Chevron Techron. I am currently using a 3M fuel system cleaner. One bottle will treat 120 gallons and it cost only 8 bucks for a bottle.

Last edited:
Where did you pick up the 3m stuff?

Right now I'm running the B12 chemtool stuff about 2 times per year.

I only run the car about 8k miles a year, and change the oil twice a year.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Where did you pick up the 3m stuff?

Right now I'm running the B12 chemtool stuff about 2 times per year.

I only run the car about 8k miles a year, and change the oil twice a year.

I picked it up at my local Napa. Now there is another 3M that looks similar, but it costs twice as much. This one will be in a twelve ounce bottle I believe and you will know it is the right one as the directions are 1 oz per 1 gallon of fuel. You can use it every other tank, not to exceed 6 uses per oil change. Hope this helps!

Wanted to add, that if you are using the product once a year, I cannot see anything too detrimental about that. Now if you are using every other tank, that would be harsh IMHO. For what little driving you do, maybe go once a year on whatever you choose. Anyone else with opinions for the OP?

Last edited:
I love this product. This is my favorite product I use to clean my fuel system. Works great when cleaning motorcycle carbs. It may be a harsher solvent but the way I look at it, it's cleaning ability is top notch. I use it twice a year as well with no ill side effects.

EDIT: Since this product is relativly cheap, I usually buy two cans and use them both for two consecutive fillups.

Last edited:

I have been running it at 5k intervals in my saturn, and haven't noticed a change either positive or negative.

What kind of change were you expecting? If the fuel system is clean, there is not much that any cleaner (cheap or expensive) can do for you...

Also, did you pour the whole can in the a full tank? Some people pour the can into an empty tank and fill it up half way to get a bit more shock to the system.

JustimH,

B12 is rated good by "Consumer Reports" magazine about 5 years ago. Very effective so solvent.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back