Mobile Oil Change Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one on this board in the lube business... specifically in the mobile oil change business??
I have been in the business for over 6 years and it is still as good as it was when I started... I just haven't found a forum or outlet for a group of people in that business...

Mobile Oilguy

Originally Posted By: Mobile_Oilguy
Any one on this board in the lube business... specifically in the mobile oil change business??
I have been in the business for over 6 years and it is still as good as it was when I started... I just haven't found a forum or outlet for a group of people in that business...

Mobile Oilguy

You will primarily hear the customers view of oil changers here.

Welcome, and I hope you aren't the sensitive type.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: XS650

You will primarily hear the customers view of oil changers here.

Welcome, and I hope you aren't the sensitive type.
grin2.gif

Very Thick skin... No Worries!

Originally Posted By: BarkerMan
Is your business an OilExtreme deal?

No... But that guy called me all the time when I was starting up... His materials were just tooo high >>> I did like his graphic and PR stuff...
Mine is in Central Texas It is http://www.freedomoilservice.com Been running great for over 6 years... I was just looking to see if there was anyone else out there in the same biz

Intersting business. What kind of problems do you experience and how do you deal with them? I am guessing weather, problem vehicles, very demanding customers and similar. Do you offer other services as well. Just interested in a general way.

And what's your typical market? I imagine rich dude without much time.

Around here, it's a status symbol for the boss to be able to take the afternoon off, so he can take his benz in for service. He'll loudly tell all the other employees too.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Around here, it's a status symbol for the boss to be able to take the afternoon off, so he can take his benz in for service. He'll loudly tell all the other employees too.

I hear elj. Our big bosses will typically use oil changes or dry cleaning errands to provide a nice smoke screen for an early departure on a Friday afternoon.
beer3.gif

Originally Posted By: Russell
Intersting business. What kind of problems do you experience and how do you deal with them? I am guessing weather, problem vehicles, very demanding customers and similar. Do you offer other services as well. Just interested in a general way.

I've been running long enough to not have any "real" operational problems any more... Weather is not a big deal here in Texas >> If it rains I just reschedule and I have figured out all the in's and out's of all the equipment and vehicles that I service... and as far as demanding customers...Not really... I have had a few but if they irritate me I just don't service their car the next time >> There are so many potential customers out there that I don't get bend up trying to please the impossible people.
As for other services... No for 2 reasons
1. I don't really want to be on a car more than 15 minutes or I start to lose money. One thing usually leads to another and if you get into diagnostics you can spend a whole day trying to track down a simple "Check Engine" light billing $40 an hour when I can just be changing oil and making $350-400 an hour...
So I just make friends with mechanics and send them the business in exchange for a discount on my repairs and a fast track to the front of the line when I need it done.
2. I just really don't wanna do it.

Actually no....
My customer base ranges from poor college students to stay-at-home moms to CEO's to City officials and everyone in between.
I service fleets with 600 units on mutli-year contracts and the average joe's with a car that barely runs....
I price my service to be competitive with other drive thru's and I offer them high quality products with the kind of service they won't find anywhere else... Plus we call them back to schedule their next change so they don't even think about it any more >> That is really popular! Especially with people are bad about remembering to do it anyway.

Quote:

Yeah... I know those people...hahaha...I usually meet them at their house to service their vehicle...LOL

Originally Posted By: Mobile_Oilguy

Quote:

Yeah... I know those people...hahaha...I usually meet them at their house to service their vehicle...LOL

Yeah or the golf course, LOL.

true efficiencies must come from careful route planning/ scheduling to minimize distance between stops.

Yeah or the golf course, LOL.

true efficiencies must come from careful route planning/ scheduling to minimize distance between stops.

Thats funny... I did one there today>> It was cold so he was at the lounge..hahahaha...
Your right about careful planning... After diesel prices doubled I took a very close look at my scheduling practices... I was working 6 days a week 6-9 hours a day...
Now that I have it under control >> I work 4 days a week and I am usually off by lunch AND I make more money while leaving the oil changes the same price!
I love the way it works out... Weds after lunch you can usually find me at the lake floating next to the boat!(in the warm season)

Is this a 1 man operation?

"I hear elj. Our big bosses will typically use oil changes or dry cleaning errands to provide a nice smoke screen for an early departure on a Friday afternoon. "

or an afternoon liason with the ECS

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Is this a 1 man operation?

I am currently running it with my wife... I have had up to 4 employees and 2 service rigs but that was a BIG headache... I ended up working harder then than I do now with 0 employees. I have it so that I do the "dirty" work (although I rarely get dirty) and my wife does all the customer service - Moving cars around - and paperwork... It puts the client at ease knowing that their vehicle is not going to be driven by the person turning the wrench.
My wife gets a LOT of comments about her "Job" when she is moving around big equipment!... Today she drove 4 dump trucks, a grader, Forklift, asphalt distributor, and an 18 wheeler with a 53' trailer attached... So she raises a few eyebrows during the day! LOL
Plus after I got rid of my employees... My equipment stopped breaking... My fuel bill went down... My stress level went down... My attitude got better... I had more time... and I made more money...

My FIL ran a newsagency, and tried the model of the previous owner, employing a couple of locals. Gave that up quickly, and adopted a model where he and his wife worked 14 plus hour days (weeks) and 8 hours Saturday/Sunday.

Stress levels improved. Shop condition improved. Profiability improved.

He DID like employing paper boys to deliver papers, but these have been legislated out.

"Plus after I got rid of my employees... My equipment stopped breaking... My fuel bill went down... My stress level went down... My attitude got better... I had more time... and I made more money..."

Yep, it pays to work very hard for yourself and KNOW the job get does correctly .....verses having employees that really don't care, except for pay day.
thumbsup2.gif

I was looking to see if anyone that visits this forum operates a mobile service to possibly get some feedback on the Sage Oil Vac system... I am looking to upgrade my service rig and I like their setup...
Anyway... Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back