Lucas UCL - Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 2007 Toyota Yaris, 1.5L, VVT-i, 4 speed automatic, 2,300 lbs, 105HP, hatchback, using 87 octane Chevron 90% of the time, 60% city, 40% highway. Sticker EPA MPG is 34/39. This car uses Mobil1 0W-20 and the OCI is 4,500 - 5,000 miles, with Mobil1 oil filter, replaced airfilter every 10,000 miles. The car currently has 22,100 miles. Engine flush at every OCI, with Gunk Engine Flush, and Techron Concentrate in each last tank of gas before an OCI. Normal tire PIS is 34, but I run 50 PSI and tires seem to have at least 20k more miles left on the tread.

I drive moderately spirited, but if I try hard, I can get 40 MPG.

Well, I just completed 7 tanks of gas along with 4 oz. of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant, and here is the comparison with 7 tanks without this additive:

Disclaimer: I'm exhausted after a long week of work so apologies if my math is wrong, and don't hesitate to correct it ;-)

Without

Tank 1: 35.4
Tank 2: 35.1
Tank 3: 34.8
Tank 4: 33.9
Tank 5: 34.7
Tank 6: 35.8
Tank 7: 34.7
Average: 34.9MPG, or 349 miles per tankful.

With Lucas UCL

Tank 1: 36.2
Tank 2: 36.2
Tank 3: 38.4
Tank 4: 36.8
Tank 5: 37.9
Tank 6: 38.7
Tank 7: 37.2
Average: 37.3, or 373 miles per tankful.

Calculations based on the above Averages:

Difference: 2.4 MPG increase, or 6.9% increase in MPG when using Lucas UCL

Cost of additive per tankful: $1

Without Lucas, @ $3.15/gal, each mile costs: $0.090/mile

With Lucas, @ $3.15/gal, and $1/tank for the additive, each mile costs: $0.0871.

For the Lucas added tank to drive 349 miles (same as the non-Lucas tank), the cost of gas required is: $29.47 worth of $3.15/gal gas. To drive the same distance without Lucas would cost $34.90, for a savings of $5.43

Going forward 10,000 miles:

Without Lucas, gas required would cost: $900.00

With Lucas, gas required would cost (including additive): $871.00

Money saved after using Lucas and driving 10,000 miles: $29, or in gas @ $3.15/gal: 9.2 gallons, which is 343.16 miles farther at 37.3MPG.

So is using Lucas UCL worth the savings in gas? Well, the savings after 10,000 is nice, but I'm on the fence on this one.

As to cleaning the upper chamber, intake valves, fuel system? I really don't know as I've not taken the heads off.

Does the car idle and accelerate smoother with Lucas UCL? Yes, this much I know for sure, and the engine does sound quieter during idle and acceleration, but to be fair, I really can't trust my hearing on this one.

Are there other products that can provide better MPG, and UCL cleaning? I don't know. Do you?

My butt dynomoneter thinks the car pulls stronger with Lucas UCL, but again, this is more anecdotal then anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lovcom
Engine flush at every OCI, with Gunk Engine Flush, and Techron Concentrate in each last tank of gas before an OCI.

*Yikes!!!*

I wouldn't wanna be in your shoes if I were you, with a brand-spanking new engine and solvent flush every OCI??!?

*eyes rolling*

(*as you can tell by my sarcastic remark, I'm not a big fan of having any form of kerosene/stoddard solvent in the crankcase even just for a 10 min flush*)

Quest-TD

p.s. thx for the detailed response thou...much appreciated for the homework done.

Moreover, last Sunday I drove a buddy's brand new 2008 Yaris hatchback, having under 200 miles, and my Yaris drives much smoother, pulls stronger, and idles quieter...but I think this has much more to do with his engine not entirely broken in yet. I suspect once he gets many more miles on his, it will drive similar to mine...we'll see....as to Lucas UCL, he saw my notes above but he's still on the fence about using it in his new Yaris...I told him not to use it until the car is broken in, but I could be wrong on this...

Originally Posted By: Quest
Engine flush at every OCI, with Gunk Engine Flush, and Techron Concentrate in each last tank of gas before an OCI.

*Yikes!!!*

I wouldn't wanna be in your shoes if I were you, with a brand-spanking new engine and solvent flush every OCI??!?

*eyes rolling*

(*as you can tell by my sarcastic remark, I'm not a big fan of having any form of kerosene/stoddard solvent in the crankcase even just for a 10 min flush*)

Quest-TD

p.s. thx for the detailed response thou...much appreciated for the homework done.

No worries...what I just added to my regimen is to run the car on cheapo 30 weight for several minutes, then drain that out, to insure I get all the flush residue out...but I can see what you mean...I too would hate to have small remnents of the flush mixing with the brand new M1 0W-20...I want my engine to be sparkling squeaky clean at 200,000 miles
banana2.gif

ah a man after my own heart - hehe

my regiment is not nearly as intense as yours. But i do feel wary about using any kind of engine flush as im afraid of what it could do to engine seals and such.

my regimen is as follows:
4oz of UCL with every tank
Techron concentrate every 15000 miles
use of Shell, BP, or Chevron fuels exclusively
Valvoline Synpower synthetic every 5000 with OEM filter
use of oil filter magnets

No, I've not done a UOA.

I simply squeezed the oil between my fingers, look at the color, and smelled it, taste it. That's all I need to know! Just kidding....lol

Well, so I don't know how my regimen or the use of the Lucas UCL would effect the UOA, and maybe this is the weak link in my strategy...my father did pull the head off my engine, but that was before I started the Lucas. The valve train looked brand new, no varnish, deposits, but then the engine was new, so this isn't saying much.

So far I can say that Lucas saves some gas, makes the car run smoother, and maybe quieter too...maybe a tad more pulling power, but again, this is anecdotal...the only firm evident to the benefits of Lucas is the saving of some gas.

As to rain traction, it's not bad at all...I think maybe better then running the normal PSI...but this is anecdotal at best.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
lovcom,
How many gallons of gas does your tank hold?

11 gallons is the capacity, and nearly all the time I run the car down so that there's only 1 gallon left in the tank, so I consume 10 gallons between fillings.

I would be interesting to see how Red Line, Fuel Power and RLI gas additives perform in your hands. Thanks for the info.

I have found recently that although solvents go around cleaning stuff that Auto-Rx gets into the really hard carbon deposits at very low concentrations. For solvents to get at this stuff the amounts you would have to use would make me nervous about what's happening to the oil while the cleaning is going on.

About your car running smoother than your friends newer car. Your car is broken in and to a sensitive butt monitor that could make a big difference. I think that a car with a few thousand miles on it is probably a better running car. I do believe that modern engines don't need a break in but can still benefit from one all the same.

My 67 Datsun was my first new-car and I was very careful with the break-in. I changed the oil the moment I got home and again at 500 miles and again after another 1000 miles. When I hit one of my early intervals I was at a friend's house. When it came up that I was withing 10 miles of my next interval he said that because I lived 50 miles away I should change my oil now and so we did. Of course I had the oil and filter with me, including a wrench. We changed the oil on my car and went back to working on our race car. A dog is man's best friend. A car is man's second best friend.

I would skip the solvent flush and go with the maintenance dose of Auto-RX. This would be much kinder to your engine and more effective. After 5k miles on Mobil1, I can't imagine that there would be any crud to flush out. When you say that your father pulled off the head, did you mean to say he pulled off the valve cover or the whole cylinder head?

lovcom

You don't need an engine flush every OCI!!!! Use a good synthetic oil and keep to the shcedule and you should be fine. In my 89' Camry it gets a small dose of Lucas UCL every fillup with fantastic results. Smoother running and better mileage although I haven't measured the MPG. After every OCI run a big bottle of Techron and it'll be fine.

Durango

My experience with lucas UCL is positive using Chevron 93 in a 95 BMW 525i. Seems to idle smoother and get slightly better mileage. However I am not going to calculate every penny of cost to see if I save money using it.

This is after two ARX treatments and use of Castrol synthetic oil. Ocasionally, a bottle of Trchron is used. Plugs at 30,000 miles look almost perfect.

I average 22-24 mpg and can get over 30 mpg on the interstate if driven at 65 mph. FYI, tire pressue is kept around 30f 33r and i have 63,000 miles on the tires.

lovecom quote, "As to cleaning the upper chamber, intake valves, fuel system? I really don't know as I've not taken the heads off"

Then later, "...my father did pull the head off my engine, but that was before I started the Lucas. The valve train looked brand new, no varnish, deposits, but then the engine was new, so this isn't saying much."

Huh? I'm thinking you meant to say that he pulled off your valve cover (head COVER), not the cylinder head itself.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
lovecom quote, "As to cleaning the upper chamber, intake valves, fuel system? I really don't know as I've not taken the heads off"

Then later, "...my father did pull the head off my engine, but that was before I started the Lucas. The valve train looked brand new, no varnish, deposits, but then the engine was new, so this isn't saying much."

Huh? I'm thinking you meant to say that he pulled off your valve cover (head COVER), not the cylinder head itself.

Argh! Sorry for the confusion I caused...yes, the valve covers and not the head...my bad....as to the combustion chambers, I dunno.

Originally Posted By: Durango
lovcom

You don't need an engine flush every OCI!!!! Use a good synthetic oil and keep to the shcedule and you should be fine. In my 89' Camry it gets a small dose of Lucas UCL every fillup with fantastic results. Smoother running and better mileage although I haven't measured the MPG. After every OCI run a big bottle of Techron and it'll be fine.

Durango

Durango, the fantastic results you speak of: were you referring to the upper engine cleaning abilities of Lucas UCL? I was wondering if you had a peak inside the upper engine...

I used Lucas UCL one time and my car stalled out on me. I came to a stop and the car suddenly died, I think the UCL may have messed with the air idle sensor.

Can't be sure if it was the UCL or just a random occurrence but it has not happened since i discontinued the use of UCL. Now I just use a high grade gasoline.

lovcom

Durango

Durango, the fantastic results you speak of: were you referring to the upper engine cleaning abilities of Lucas UCL? I was wondering if you had a peak inside the upper engine...

lovcom,

I speak of felt engine smoothness in my 4 banger Camry. I admit one dose didn't do it over night as it took about at least three weeks to feel the results. My opinion only but smoother running and being light on the gas pedal gave my a 1/8 tank of gas savings per week!!! I never looked inside my engine as I trust Mobil 1 to help keep it clean. This is not a cure all product. You must add to the gas every week as per the instructions. Like I said one bottle won't do it overnight.

Durango

Last edited:
lovcom

Durango

lovcom,

I speak of felt engine smoothness in my 4 banger Camry. I admit one dose didn't do it over night as it took about at least three weeks to feel the results. My opinion only but smoother running and being light on the gas pedal gave my a 1/8 tank of gas savings per week!!! I never looked inside my engine as I trust Mobil 1 to help keep it clean. This is not a cure all product. You must add to the gas every week as per the instructions. Like I said one bottle won't do it overnight.

Durango

Wow you got a 12.5% increase in MPG...cool...the best I could do was 6.7%, but maybe the savings in MPG is less if the car is already a fuel miser, as the Yaris is. Agreed, it took a few weeks before I could notice a smoother idle and acceleration.

I'm still on the fence about this products benefits, but for now I will continue to use it up to the 30,000 mile mark, then I'll pull the valve cover again and see how things look. As for how, it does same gas, pays for it's self, smooths out the idle and acceleration, but as to it's cleaning abilities, I don't know yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back