Did a change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well today I had some time to work on the ladies car. Went to Napa and got a Napa Gold filter and 5 quarts of GTX 5w-30.

Got home and went to change the oil out. Found some interesting stuff out! First, figured out where all the oil goes..... there is a leak somewhere down near the filter. Cant tell exactly, any ideas on how to pinpoint it?

Second, Meineke here has been using the Powerflo filters. The Laser had one on it. So, not quite sure as to the ticking noise on start up, as the pf is the same as a purolator from what i have read. I was glad to see that they were using quality filters for their changes. They have alwyas been good.

As for the oil, winter is on its way, and I figured dropping the 10w30 durring the winter cant really hurt.

One more....

I went to Castrols website and punched in the data for this vehicle and they recomend a 20w50 or something. Any ideas as to why something so heavy???

Next project, the Jimmy!

You left out information about the vehicle, engine, etc., so there is no way to get a response from the board on this one.

As to the leak, if someone else installed it, it may be as simple as they did not lube the gasket on the filter and simply didn't get it tight enough. I assume they use the correct filter.

I seem to remember:

His - 1998 Jimmy 4.3L

Hers - 1990 Plymouth Laser 2.0L (Mitsu)

The Laser had start-up noise. Hopefully the old filter just had a bad ADBV and a new filter will fix it.

Laser 2.0L (Mobil reference)
10W-30 temps down to -9&#176F
5W-20 temps below 61&#176F

There is no reference to 5W-30. I suspect 5W-30 was not yet in widespread use when the Laser was made.

As to the oil leak you can try cleaning it and adding a tracer chemical to the oil. This will show up under a black light and you will be able to see the leak.

Gene

Thanks for the reply guys, and sorry I did not get the info included, much apreciated for the refresher.
smile.gif

I never thought of the tracer kit. Matco stops in the shop on friday (i work as a stereo installer) so I will see what he has for tracer kits. I seem to remember him having a couple on his truck. Might snag a black light for it too. I noticed the other day while poking around under the Jimmy there is a seepage somewhere. Looked at it today while at work and sort of determined that it is coming from the area of the lines that feed the remote mounted filter that is under the bumper. Called the dealer and the service guy said it'd be pretty easy for me to change things out myself.

I think in the end, the Laser will be getting ARX. The g/f said that her car is much quieter now, and seems to think it sounds like the thing is more lubricated. Only time will tell.

For the Jimmy, I know i talked about running GTX, but as I found some GC at AZ, should i just switch to that now or flush first with ARX?

Yep, the 2L Mitsu is actually a pretty good engine. Mine is an 87. I stick with the Pure 1 to eliminate the tick. Some other quality filters wouldn't. Water pump can also sound almost exactly like valve train or lifter tick when it's getting ready to give it up. Mine doesn't like 87 octane gasoline, but the mpg is so good I don't care.

Mine is old and has 168K, so since it's smooth with the PZ 10-30, I'm gonna leave it alone. It ran much of it's life on Havoline 10W-40, but the thicker oil just hurts mileage and power. My consumption with the PZ is minimal. I never have to add and the engine seems more responsive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back