storing tires and wheels outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

Anyone see any real issues with storing tires (mounted on wheels) outside? I currently keep the snow tires (or summer tires in the winter) piled in the garage. Works ok, but it takes up a lot of space that we'd prefer to put other stuff in there.

We have a nice deck on the back of the house - not very high off the ground, but high enough that stuff can be put underneath. I'm thinking that if I make some slide-along wheeled contraptions that I can put wheels on, then I can roll them under the deck. Sure would make good use of that space...

Thing is, the tires would be stored out of sunlght (shade/darkness day and night), but outside. The garage isnt heated, but at least the rain doesnt get in.

So, is moisture an issue? will it destroy my tires? Can I do something to protect them so they keep in those conditions? THey obviouisly wont be wet all the time, but sometimes it rains...

Any thoughts about this?? Any major issues?

Thanks!

JMH

I dunno.

I store tyres outside all of the time (mounted to my cars), and they last pretty well.

Only problem that I would have with storing them outside is constant exposure to one part to the elements (i.e. differential in UV, Ozone, moisture etc.) might give you different properties/life around the tyre...maybe

Older tires that will get used up in less than a year are ok outside for a few months, heck....made for outdoor use. Now, with good snow tires that have a ton of tread and that I use only a few weeks a year, I want to keep them good so they go in the garage or shed.

Last edited:
yes, keep them away from the sun. But even if they have tread left, winter tires will be REALLY bad after ca 5 years *from production date* no matter how much tread is left. Hardened rubber = no grip on hard snow or ice.
Use up the winter tires in maximum 5 years. Then they only have the "mud" left of the "mud and snow". This is a fact.

Aside from what has already been suggested - away from the sun, ozone producing machines, heat, excessive cold, etc.

You should also prevent water from getting inside. It's a real pain to bail it out - and if you don't, you'll never get the tire to balance.

well the tires would be mounted and balanced... just stored under the deck, out of the sun.

I suppose in my unheated, unsealed garage, the tires will still see the excessive heat/cold to the actual extremes we see here in NJ.

I suppose a coating of 303 on the inner and outer sidewalls would make the longevity w.r.t. ozone/uv a non-issue...

thanks,

JMH

I'd also put each wheel/tire in a big black garbage bag that is air proof and try to get as much air out as possible before sealing them up. I've got some tires stored in my basement right now this way and it was strongly recommended by my local tire guy.

I was thinking of that... my only issue was hat being outside, would it enhance the condensation effects?

Ill likely do that, it only makes sense...

Thanks,

JMH

Would it help to smear tire conditioner all over the tire and then black bag it. You might get a decent extraction of air with a vacuum cleaner. Then double or triple bag it. And I wonder if some paper towels thrown in would help absorb moisture.

Follow the advise already given about sunlight, ozone etc. and especially the one about using them after more than 5 years. Had a set that turned to rocks and yanked them off after the first few miles, they were that scary.

I wouldn't store them in sealed plastic bags either. It would be really difficult to get all the air out and some miniscule amount of moisture would be present. Maybe just enough to cause some decent corrosion on those steel rims if it didn't have a way to vent out. If no shed, where you will store them sounds good. Look at this too: http://www.properautocare.com/tiregarage.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back