Walmart Battery: won't fit battery tie down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last battery was Walmart Everstart 35
New battery is Walmart Everstart Maxx 35

Innocent enought?

The new battery seems to be taller and won't clear the battery tie down on a 95 Corolla. The back "hook" doesn't have enough length to reach the bottom plate and pass through the top metal tie for the nut. The front bolt is fine otherwise.

So I am thinking about just leaving the back unhooked and tie only the front. Not sure if it will cause long time vibration problem, but I have enough insulation on the top (+ plastic cap) that I am not worried about a short through the hood.

Universal tie downs are $2 or so. Less if you just buy a threaded rod at the hardware store.

There are over 2 dozen sizes (groups) of batteries 24, 26, 27, 31, and on and on regardless of which performance level(Everstart 35,Everstart Maxx 35). get the correct group and it'll fit in designated space.

Bob

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
There are over 2 dozen sizes (groups) of batteries 24, 26, 27, 31, and on and on regardless of which performance level(Everstart 35,Everstart Maxx 35). get the correct group and it'll fit in designated space.

Bob

I am getting the correct "group" already. Are the group geometric spec or performance spec?

Anyhow, I might just go for the universal tie down or a rope. Just to see if this is a commonality as this is the first time I have seen this happening.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
I assume there is not a removable spacer on the bottom of the battery?

This is what I was going to ask. Is there a spacer there, or was the spacer from the previous battery left in place?

Group 35 is a valid size for this car. It may not be the only one, it may be an optional battery. However, I have a '94 Geo Prizm (Corolla with GM badge) and I believe group 35 was one of the listed batteries for this application.

Spacer - no, there is however a plastic tray that aligns to 2 holes in the chassis, I think it is part of the car and mounting the battery without it would be scary.

walmart batteries are tricky. I had a 92 mitsu mirage walmart regular battery. when I went to get another walmart regular battery 4 years later, they changed the sizes in the recommended book to a smaller battery that was too small for the battery tray. I took my old battery and measured with a new battery that was the same size. I bought that and used it. had about the same cranking amps.

I guess this was already addressed, but in my buddy's battery store I've seen batteries with a spacer that snaps on to cover more applications. I'd certainly rather get a battery to fit the car rather than fit the car to the battery.

Doesn't Wal-Wart install their batteries for free?

Go back and let THEM figure it out. It's their battery, and it is supposed to fit.

Is it possible that you have a different group size battery with the wrong sticker on it?

Resolved? No, tied down one side and drive gently, will figure something out today.

Same size? Seems so, just the edge is a bit "wider" on the top. I might do something about it like filing it down or shim the other side up. I was squeezing the original at the edge already (teeth mark when it was out) and the new one is slightly bigger. Seems like Johnson Control has a different interpretation of 35 than Toyota/GM.

Install at Walmart for free? I don't trust their mechanics and the wait is just way too long. I could've fix it with a $2 tie down when they are going to charge me $30 for the same thing and blame me for the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back