New Motorized Bike forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I got my bike kit yesterday - I can start wrenching soon, but lots of work!!! Some of the stuff in the kit is really Chinese, but I knew that going in.

This afternoon if I have time I'll lay the kit out and take some photos. Progress will be slow. I need to rig a bike rack or clamp device to hold the bike while I work. The bike has no kick stand (bottom mount brakes) - any ideas on a bike rack/holder that won't break the bank?

And what bike are you going to use?

No idea about inexpensive bike holders, but can't you just rig something and hang the bike from your garage ceiling?

Looks like a fun project. Do you plan to commute with it or is it just to play with? Does amsoil make filters for it.
LOL.gif

Progress Today!! Some things need modifying other stuff is straight bolt on, but lots of moving bits around, cutting nubs off, ignoring the instructions, etc.
mb5.JPG

mb10.JPG

mb3.JPG

mb4.JPG

mb8.JPG

mb9.JPG

BioPace chain rings, eh? Must be a valuable collector's item by now!
I like the AMSOIL product placement.
As for the motor, you are a very bold man. Do you wear a helmet and shin guards?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
BioPace chain rings, eh? Must be a valuable collector's item by now!

Tell me more. I'm ignorant of any historical or other significance.

Quote:
I like the AMSOIL product placement.

Funny - I didn't plan it. The silicone spray and compressed air made short work of severely stuck grips.

Quote:
As for the motor, you are a very bold man. Do you wear a helmet and shin guards?
grin2.gif

Helmet yes. Maybe a catcher's cup, in case it blows....

BioPace chain rings by Shimano are ovoid in an effort to overcome the "dead spot" when the cranks are vertical. They were popular in the late '80s. I was dying to get a MTB with BioPace, but mum didn't spring for it. Supposedly BioPace didn't work as well as advertised and wasn't exactly good for knees. Don't see them too often any more. Someone might be interested.

Wearing a cup and brain bucket seems wise. How about Nomex briefs?

If my cotton sport briefs go up, I'll send you the remains, but I doubt I'll be able to ship them due to Haz Mat shipping restrictions. Certain regions probably should be shot into the sun for proper disposal.

As for the bike, I remember all the brochures (I still have them in the file) about the BioPace stuff. But I didn't buy the bike for that reason. I bought the bike for the combination of relatively low price and package of features. It does pedal OK, but I think I have a crank bearing going south. Tell me more about hard on the knees, I never had an issue………..that I know of.

As for motorizing it - it was handy and I didn't want to buy a beach cruiser for the purpose. My buddy said I would lose the front derailleur function, or rather it would get in the way and I would have to remove it. So far so good, but I need to do just a little minor cutting and grinding so the change arm will clear one of the mounting studs to allow it to go into the lowest front chain ring. Also, the left crank hit the exhaust, but a little tweaking made it right.

I'm not 100% sure I did the rear sprocket correctly. I'm going .25 on logic, .25 on web reading, .25 on the terrible supplied instructions and .25 on my buddy's input. More research needed but those bolts are a PITA, and not shown are the rubber tire donuts:

http://www.chrishill.myknet.org/Sprocket installation.htm

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/sprocket-installation-bicycle-engine-kit-109.html#post472

The clutch and throttle took messing around with (time consuming) but are done. If this thing runs, even I will be amazed!

Crikey - nearly ready to fire it up. I have to get a new tube for the rear tire! The simple stuff. Then I busted my plastic Fram fuel filter (add on). I have the tank mounted, all wired up, I'll need to set the chain tensioner.....

Originally Posted By: moribundman
How loud is the engine?

Idle to 1/2 throttle, fine acceptable noise level in my DINK/MS weenie/Subway store owner hood. 1/2-3/4 throttle kinda loud. Full throttle? How about a supersized chainsaw gone amuck!!!

I won't detail all the hassle I had yesterday, I just say bestard Chinese eunuchs. I decided to ignore the instructions and I did it right - finally. The supplied instructions would have you howling....or screaming.....

That frame was an old pre-"snakestays" one.
I always liked Diamondback frames.
So...what's the plan? Pedal until you're exhausted, then ride back under power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back