Large tire + wheel size is ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed most new mainstream automobiles like the Accord, Camry, etc. come with exceedingly large tires. A Sport Edition Camry (which is an oxymoron right there) came with pure summer tires a few years ago. Hello...these are front wheel drive family vehicles...Let's race for pinks with the Altima, Aura, and new Malibu. Many people do not recognize how expensive larger tires cost and that larger tires do not provide good snow traction compared with skinnier tires. Go ahead and parallel park your 18inch Mazda 6 wheels in the city as you damage the wheel against the curb. I think this possible trend poses potential dangers and accidents. People might hesitate replacing tires after they hear the 17 inch tires on their 173 horsepower legacy wagon will cost nearly $1000 or more to replace. I just think their is nothing worse than a "Sheep in Wolf's clothing," and an expensive one at that.

exactly.

Some claim that the prices will go down as these sizes become more mainstream... well, maybe... but I havent seen it that way yet. a 15" or 16" tire, even a really good one, tends to be substantially cheaper than the 17/18" versions.

And, Im not counting on resource or labor prices dropping anytime soon.

I very much worry about folks plugging their tires extra times after they have been compromised, people using the secondary market for tires, rather than new, fresh materials, people keeping their tires longer (despite UV, etc. damage), only replacing as onzees or twozees, and so on.

All of these things increase the chance of roadway incidents and unsafe situations.

JMH

I agree completely. I think the 20" wheels on the Dodge 1500s are stupid and crazy expensive to replace. Remmeber when you thought 16" tires where expensive, now they are cheap. I think some people trade them when the tires wear out because its cheaper than putting new tires on, in their brain.

Plus sized wheels have never been in my culture, nor the culture of my friends. I hope they never become mainstream. I need the extra rubber to protect my car from the potholes that plague SE Michigan.

I agree 1000%.

Last time I checked, our roads (in ANY state of this union) are NOT getting any better (can you say potholes?) and these stupid low sidewall tires are getting damaged.

Our Outback has bigger than normal tires and its has saved us when you can not avoid a pothole. Sadly, with the accident I had to buy 4 new tires since the replacement tire (same brand, model, size) was over 2.5 inches larger than the others and the AWD did not like it.

But, I found out that the 225/60 -16 were $26 cheaper per tire than the 225/55-17 tires that come on the other Outbacks.

That is over $100 more!

Also these tire pressure monitor systems are another joke. I am so glad I do not have the mandatory system on my cars.

We have them in our new Toyota trucks at work and more of them than not have issues. The warranty is fixing them now, but someday its not going to and talking to the tire shop, they are more problems than anything else.

Thanks for our Government to protect us from our selfs. (and all the DUMB exploders that rolled over from them NOT checking their tire pressures)
06.gif

Take care, bill

PS: The tire shop that I bought my new tires said they can NOT mount or repair any tires IF the tire pressure monitoring system is having *ANY* problems. They have to repair it (REPLACE at $75 or more per rim) until the system is working).

They had 2 cars in there that could not get tires fixed (flats) because the system would not work.
shocked2.gif

If the larger wheels are needed for larger discs it seems like a good thing, but most seem to be doing it for fashion. Trendy low profile performance (summer) tires on pickups and SUVs seems bizarre, but fashion by definition has nothing to do with practicality.

Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
but fashion by definition has nothing to do with practicality.

Sad but true. Same goes for things like rear wings/spoilers, chrome exhaust pipes, "R type" stickers, racing stripes, etc.

But the added problem with tires is that they're a wear and tear item, which means they require periodic replacement, and the larger and the lower-profile a tire is, the more it'll cost to replace.

Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
... Trendy low profile performance (summer) tires on pickups and SUVs seems bizarre,...

Especially if they are jacked up and 4WD, like the Ford FX4 for example.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
...The tire shop that I bought my new tires said they can NOT mount or repair any tires IF the tire pressure monitoring system is having *ANY* problems. They have to repair it (REPLACE at $75 or more per rim) until the system is working).

They had 2 cars in there that could not get tires fixed (flats) because the system would not work.
shocked2.gif

All the more reason to buy a Harbor Freight tire changer and do it yourself! I have a feeling mine will come in quite handy in the future.

It's just a fad until one of these vehicles hits you on the highway because their handling is impaired by a fashion statement.

There is a brand new Cadillac in the county impound that has very tiny tires mounded on wire wheels sticking out of the wheel wells. The car was lowered to the ground with air bags. The car is completely smashed. The yard manager said the two occupants were killed while driving on the freeway in the rain. They were not using seat belts and although all the airbags deployed I think they work better when you stay put in your seat. I guess the computer chip could not keep up with the tiny tires when the car started to slide.

With a new car I think you should be very careful about what you do with tires.

Originally Posted By: spiderbypass
I have noticed most new mainstream automobiles like the Accord, Camry, etc. come with exceedingly large tires. A Sport Edition Camry (which is an oxymoron right there) came with pure summer tires a few years ago. Hello...these are front wheel drive family vehicles...Let's race for pinks with the Altima, Aura, and new Malibu. Many people do not recognize how expensive larger tires cost and that larger tires do not provide good snow traction compared with skinnier tires. Go ahead and parallel park your 18inch Mazda 6 wheels in the city as you damage the wheel against the curb. I think this possible trend poses potential dangers and accidents. People might hesitate replacing tires after they hear the 17 inch tires on their 173 horsepower legacy wagon will cost nearly $1000 or more to replace. I just think their is nothing worse than a "Sheep in Wolf's clothing," and an expensive one at that.

I remember thinking what you wrote here when I first checked out the Subaru Tribeca. I think that think had 18 or 19" and I thought, "wow I bet those are a small fortune to replace". I don't like that the manufacturers are going with such larger tire sizes. When it comes to purchasing tires, I would much rather buy a 14-16" tire than those 18 or 19 inchers.

thumbsup2.gif
When I working in Mississippi I used to see nothing but mid 90's caprice classics with 22" wheels on them. They look terrible and I can't say why people think they look good.
15.gif

Originally Posted By: spiderbypass
Many people do not recognize how expensive larger tires cost and that larger tires do not provide good snow traction compared with skinnier tires.

My wife certainly notice that her new car "looks nice" with 18" 45 tires and mandate me to get it rather than the 17" rims. Despite the car being a 2.5L with 200hp. I told her she will be footing all tire replacement related costs on her own.

Kumho, Hankook, Nankang, and Sumitomo to the rescue.

Last edited:
I'm perfectly satisfied with the 14 inch tires on my saturn, and the 14 inchers on my girlfriends neon.

When discount tire direct had the sale, we scored a set of all season falkens for her car for 100 dollars shipped for a set of 4 new tires.

You would be hard pressed to buy one 18 inch tire for 100 dollars.

There aren't too many regular cars that force you to get large wheels with the car. It's usually an option or only included on the most sporty model. Why complain that manufacturers provide the consumer with the option to buy what they want? To me, the improved feel and handling provided by my 205/50R17's is worth the extra $30 a year in tire cost over the 16" wheels on the lower trim level anyway. If you want smaller wheels than 16's, you'd probably be frugal enough to buy the base model version of the Mazda3 with smaller brakes and 15" wheels instead. I don't see the problem with options.

And who would use the same tires in winter and summer anyway?
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back