Wiper Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: speedyswede
If you want longevity in a wiper blade...PIAA Super Silicone.

Yes and no. They are my favourite wiper blade.

However, when we go for our mandatory annual inspections, the mechanics look at the colour of the silicon, decide the blades are perished and replace them with home brand (admittedly steel backed) blades.

Therefore I've never had a set last more than 11 months...but they ARE good.

I had Bosch Icons and they got noisy and skippy a few months later. The nice young man who manages a AAP here, kindly swapped me a set of the Trico ones that look just like them, and they are perfectly silent and very effective. The Trico are even cheaper, because I got money back with the replacements on return.

I've gone through many sets of Bosch wipers and refills, and have never had them last more than one season (if that) before they begin to streak and smear.

Switched to Trico refills last year, and am still using the same set this wet season.

I always end up buying the cheapies from Wally World with them lasting at least a year. After a year and a half, the framed Michelins started peeling while I was on the road so I stopped at an Oreillys and bought a set of Bosch Excels. For the money I could not believe that these blades are such khrapp. They streaked right out of the box and threw water back all over the windshield after swiping. I went to Target a few days later and noticed that Michelin now has frameless wipers on the market, and having good luck with the previous set of Michelin wipers lasting a year and a half I decided to buy a set for the wifes car. They seem to work flawlessly for now but it has only been a month or so. I bought another set for my truck a week later and saved the junk Bosch ones. Time will tell for these, to me unless they last at least a year they are junk.

I've always sold the silver packaging/line of the bosch blades. They work well for about a year then they go streaky.

Oddly enough I also sell the real cheap line of chinese made wiper blades called viewguard (red packaging) and so far they've been working extremely well with virtually all car makes. Quiet and streak free and bloody cheap.

OEM refills usually work the best but it takes more time to swap old rubbers with the new refill. They always seem to last the longest. My wifes 2001 CRV lasted over 5 yrs streak and noise free until they started to fall apart at the ends.

I will never buy those "frameless/new" wiper blades due to cost since they dont last any longer or perform any better. My climate has no issues of wiper body freeze so I'll stick with traditional.

alanu, "supposedly" the frameless ones last longer. At least that is a universal claim made by everyone who manufactures them. The design maybe? I dont know.

Dont believe the hype. I know alot of people upset that they've spent more beans on the "better" blade with no better performance or longevity.

I think OE blades are the best without a question.

I got a batch of Michelin blades for the shop and they are mediocre IMO. Not significantly cheaper yet they do its job.

This is why I mention the very cheap wiper blades I use called viewguard. They are quiet and last just as long as a more expensive bosch (silver package). Its all about $$ and performance.

Originally Posted By: Quest
I go with Anco wiper blades.

I do mostly - the next level-up Anco Aero Blade. We get some ice every winter - so the wife and daughters don't scrape the ice well. So once or twice every winter, the blades will partially stick to the glass. Or the women will turn on the wipers with areas of ice still on the windshield. That will wear a blade prematurely too..... tear them up by spring. So I'm forced to change them once a year... usually around $7-$8 per blade. So for me, it makes no sense to buy the real good ones.

Most of the house brands are bad news - so I avoid them. They offer good visibility - just squeak too much.

Last edited:
Not really believing the hype, as I stated in my first post, time will tell. All products make their own claims to entice the consumer to buy them. The Michelins were only a few dollars more than the regular framed ones, and I figured since I had good luck with the first set that I would give the frameless ones a try. If they tear up prematurely than I can say that they are not worth it as with the Bosch Excels, if they prove to be worth the money, than I have a good product to use and recommend for only a few smackers more.

OEM or Anco are my choice. I tried some expensive Bosch & PIAA and they were wonderful for about 8 months. The OEM and anco lasted 2 years and were still workings but, I changed them anyway.

Rain-X blades from Walley World have worked best for me. Usually good price there too. A lot of dealerships around here sell them too. No ice or snow here where I live in Florida but we do get our share of rain. No problems at all with the Rain-X blades.

I,ve had [censored] luck with Anco’s, all other wipers including the BOSCH would only last one year on a car parked in direct sunlight. Anco was the first brand that lasted two years continuous, so I have been using it for a long time. I love the 4th of July sales here in Cali where they can be snatched for $2 a piece. You will have to pay the regular price of $3.73 last time I checked but no rains for at least the next week, only fog. That huge two story wallmart in Sac should have plenty of these.

I bought the Michelin one piece wipers that mold to your windshield and I love them so far. Forget their name, maybe "Edge" or something. There is not much chatter or streakiness with them at all. Time will tell how long they last though as the cold winter really beats up the rubber on my wipers.

Stay away from the teflon blades at wallmart. they are way too hard and have plastic backing that doesn't distribute the pressure.

I've had bad luck with the ancos.

They just streak and chatter.

I recently took the car to advance auto parts and bought a set of trico winter blades for the saturn.

They install the blades for free, and I don't have to bother with it.

I'm happy with the tricos so far.

I've been using the Rain-x blades recently. I clean them on a regular basis and it seems to help them last longer. I've got a set on my ranger (91) that has who knows how many miles. Windshield isn't in the best of condition either. Have a set on the gf's cavalier. I think they're almost 2yrs old.

I did a wiper arm retrofit on my roadmaster using some of the newer arms off a newer Buick. I didn't like the pin style arms that came on it; prefer the hook style better. I'm using the Latitude blades from RainX on there. Work good so far. :)

Just purchsed a set of Trico "Oktane" blades. I've always liked
trico blades and their refills. If these don't outlast the OEM (1.5 yrs.) I'll step up to PIAA Super Silicones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back