SLIP2000 MSDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Material Safety Data Sheet – SLIP 2000
I. SPS Marketing Inc. 355 Mandela Parkway Oakland, CA. 94607 (707) 585-8329
Prepared by: Mike Cork Date Created: 01/05/04 Last Revision: 01/05/05
Trade Name: SLIP 2000 Weapons Lubricant Label:Slip 2000 Gun Lube
II. Hazardous Ingredients
Hazardous Determination: .....................Material is not hazardous as defined by OSHA hazard communication standard,
29CFR1910,1200. Non-hazardous ingredient: 40 to 70 percent synthetic hydrocarbon-CAS
#68515-33-3 5 to 25 percent metallic salts CAS#-mixture (trade secret) components of this
material are not known to be hazardous. 5 to 20 percent synthetic hydrocarbon-CAS#
-trade secret. This material is not known to be hazardous.
III. Physical Data
Boiling Point: ................. ..........................650°-790° F Melting Point:………..110° F
Specific Gravity:.............. .........................895 Vapor Pressure:………Nil
Vapor Density: ............... ..........................N/A Solubility in H2O:……Nil
% Volatile by Volume:... ..........................Nil Evaporation Rate: ......N/A
Appearance and Odor:.... ..........................Light Green/brown pH: .............................Neutral
IV. Fire and Explosion Data
Flash Point (Test Method):........................410° F COC
Auto Ignition Temperature:.......................715° F
Flammable Limits in Air: ..........................N/A
Extinguishing Media: .......................... Water spray, dry chemical, foam or carbon dioxide.
Special Fire fighting Procedures: ..............Water or foam may cause frothing. Use water to keep containers cool. Water spray
may be used to flush spills.
Unusual fire/Explosion hazard:................. Products or combustion may contain carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, or other
Materials. Do not enter enclosed or confined area without proper protective
Equipment, including respiratory equipment.
V. Health Hazard Information
Inhalation: ..................... .......................... No volatiles. Inhalation is unlikely route. Acute inhalation in rats LC50 Mg/Liter.
greater than 2.0 (non toxic).
Skin Contact: .................. .......................... Repeated exposure can cause irritation. Clothing (dry) and gloves (impenetrable). Wash
with soap and water. Primary skin irritation in rabbits: Ave. Score: 1.88 (mild irritant)
Skin absorption: Unlikely. Use protective gear during continued or extreme exposure.
Eye Contact: ................... ..........................Can cause irritation. Use safety glasses at all times, goggles when handling in overhead or when agitating. Eye
Irritant in rabbits.. Washed—mild irritant. Unwashed—minimal irritant.
Ingestion: ........................ .......................... Oral LD50 (Rat) at 5000 mg/kg. No deaths.
Effects of Overexposure
Acute Overexposure:...... .......................... Potential skin and eye irritant.
Chronic Overexposure: .. ..........................Product may cause irritation to eyes, lungs, or skin after prolonged or repeated exposure.
Overexposure may cause central nervous system depression.
Emergency and First Aid Procedures
Eyes: ............................... ..........................Wash with water for 15 minutes. If irritation persists, consult physician.
Skin:................................ ..........................Use protective clothing for sensitive skin. Wash with soap and water to remove.
Inhalation:....................... ..........................Remove victim to fresh air and provide oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Ingestion: ........................ .......................... If large amounts are ingested, do not induce vomiting. Consult physician, as gastric lavage may be indicated.
VI. Reactivity Data
Conditions Contributing to Instability: ..... Generally stable. Keep away from heat sources and open flame.
Incompatibility: .............. ..........................Keep away from strong oxidizers.
Hazardous Decomposition Products: ........ Generally none, except as carbon monoxide during incomplete combustion.
Conditions Contributing to
Hazardous Polymerization: .......................None
VII. Disposal, Spill or Leak Procedures
Aquatic Toxicity:............ ..........................None know.
Waste Disposal Method: ..........................Use absorptive material and dispose at professional disposal complying with state, federal and local regulations.
Material is Spilled or Released:................. Contain spill immediately in smallest area possible. Soak up and dispose in professional disposal fashion.
Keep out of sewers or bodies of water.
Neutralizing Chemicals: . ..........................None indicated
VIII. Special Protection Information
Ventilation:..................... ..........................Normal shop ventilation
Respiratory: .................... ..........................None normally required except as noted in Sec III
Eye:................................. .......................... Always wear safety glasses. Chemical goggles if danger of splash or drip exists.
Gloves:............................ ..........................Recommend impervious type.
HMIS rating:................... ..........................Health 1, Flammability 0, Reactivity 0, Personal Protection A
IX. Special Precautions
Not listed as a carcinogen or potential carcinogen by NTP, IARC or OSHA
Handling or storage requirements............D.O.T. Label – Not regulated. OSHA Label – Not regulated. Product is Class III B Combustible liquid per
NFPA Code N. 30-1984. Store and handle accordingly.

Seems to me that nobody has a magic formula out there. Tribologists have pretty much wrung out what they're going to wring out as far as coming up with Cleaners, Lubricants, and rust Preventatives. Now all that's left is to find the company with the closest margins for the mostest product. Am I off the mark here guys?

[No clue but 2 other brands have same wording weird huh?]

Yeah... it is..my guess and it's just a guess may be a PAO.

[Am I off the mark here guys?]

Nope...

Makes me want to go back to BreakFree Bruce. Your links to the other oils makes Slip2000 real weird huh? Hmmmm....

So what is the best?.... hi-miler writes a good point.

Maybe Tempest has something to add...

Just like I was taught many years ago. Keep your rifle clean and use a good mil-spec oil. Check , check, check, and clean. The whole issue was and still is, I believe, keep the rifle clean plus function check. Some blame the oil but is it? Likely something wrong mechanical or a dirty rifle.

Quote:
Maybe Tempest has something to add...

I must be getting predictable.
LOL.gif

Quote:
Your links to the other oils makes Slip2000 real weird huh?

I think what Bruce is trying to say is that this is not a unique product. That they purchase their product from another company and sell it for use on guns. This is something that I have always wondered since the real name of Slip 2000 is SPS Marketing Inc. No lubrication indications in that name. And good catch Bruce.

"Non-hazardous ingredient: 40 to 70 percent synthetic hydrocarbon-CAS #68515-33-3" = Benzene, mono-C10-12-alkyl derivs., fractionation bottoms, heavy ends
http://iaspub.epa.gov/srs/srs_proc_qry.navigate?P_SUB_ID=446880
I am not familiar with this base stock but it would appear to be a aromatic which could explain the cleaning power. Maybe Bruce knows more?
wink.gif

"5 to 25 percent metallic salts CAS#-mixture (trade secret) components of this material are not known to be hazardous."
The formulator of FP10 and Weapon Shield also believed it to be Ca sulphonate. How is this for AW/EP Bruce? And the % looks way high compared to PCMO levels.
"5 to 20 percent synthetic hydrocarbon-CAS#
-trade secret. This material is not known to be hazardous."
I'd guess PAO but...
21.gif

I do like the 0% volatiles in this product.

They seem to like you, I asked twice for this and never got one. See if you can get an MSDS for their "Extreme Weapons Lube".
cool.gif

Your links to the other oils makes Slip2000 real weird huh?

I think what Bruce is trying to say is that this is not a unique product. That they purchase their product from another company and sell it for use on guns.

That's what I was trying to say
33.gif
...I'm not clear writing e-mail. You said it right on it's not a unique product.

They seem to like you, I asked twice for this and never got one. See if you can get an MSDS for their "Extreme Weapons Lube".

First I tried the direct approach and nothing. Second I wrote "you have a great product and I use gallons of it and would like to buy EW but don't know what's in it." I'm lucky they sent the .dat files for the 2000, than I converted over to pdf. I'll try again to get the EW MSDS.
Just buttered them up is all....
wink.gif

"""think what Bruce is trying to say is that this is not a unique product. That they purchase their product from another company and sell it for use on guns. This is something that I have always wondered since the real name of Slip 2000 is SPS Marketing Inc. No lubrication indications in that name. And good catch Bruce."""

Thanks That is what i was trying to say.

Salts are most likley CA sulfonate or barium sulfonate common in rust inhibiotrs

bruce

Thanks for the information guys. Do you have any input as to the heavy alkylated benzene base oil? I would assume it to clean well (good solubility) but I would be worried about oxidation? From what Bruce has said in the past about aromatic oils, I'm thinking that it might have good "cling".

could mean something like XOM AN's do not use anything like it so not familar with it,light solventy oils are used for penitration into nooks and cranies aswell as wetting metal.
bruce

Sorry for the bump, but thanks for posting the MSDS. One thing I'm curious about is the fact that they market this and talk about it in the MSDS as being non-toxic and non-hazardous. I see that it contains some sort of benzene-related chemical (Benzene, mono-C10-12-alkyl derivs., fractionation bottoms, heavy ends). Wikipedia says benzene (it doesn't mention the specific form used in Slip2000) is extremely carcinogenic and toxic, so how is it that it's considered non-hazardous and non-toxic? How can the LD50 for rats be so high?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back