Synthetic For Jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys
Well I just bought a 2008 Jeep Patriot, 2.4 L Five speed. Got it 24 Dec great Christmas. Well I was wondering when would be a good time to swicth it over? Book says 1st oil change is at 10 000. Would like to put GC in, what grade? I live in Ontario Canada.
Thanks

Hi Thanks it says API certified SAE 5w-20 And all it says is you may use Synthetic?

Ok So What do you think a good Synthetic is for my location and type of car?
You guys are great allways helpfull.

With Living up in canada. After reading many many post here I think this GC should be ok. Now I need to find out if this would be ok with the Jeep warranty. If all works out I will as the Recomended oil change says switch over at 10 000 Km ?

i use GC in my 2000 dakota, 3.9, and the motor loves it. (spec is 10w-30) i'm in windsor, and cold starts are good.GC is excellent oil, but is very thick ( near a 40 wt.) for a 4 cyl. you MIGHT have a drop in mpg., and MIGHT have an issue with warranty, since you're not using the speced 5w-20 oil. there are excellent 5w-20 oils from which to choose, amsoil or PP, for example. use what the manual states,and you'll be fine. personally, i change out oil on a new car at about 700-800 mi. you'd be surprised what is trapped in the filter of a new engine. a brother, and several friends work at the ford engine plants in the city, and all change out oil early. they build the motors, so they know. it's not nesessary, but everyone has his own opinion on this. good luck with the new truck.

Hi yeti
Great Info Thanks big time. I think maybe I will use a Castrol Synthetic with the proper wt.To keep the warranty clear. This was the info I was looking for. Have a good one.

I have frequently dumped the factory fill at 2000 miles, and put in synthetic, and that never gave me trouble.

Any good 5w20 synthetic will work well in your car. However, since you live in a cold climate, 0w20 synthetic would probably be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back