Highest octane gas that's safe to run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my bone-stock '00 VW GTI 1.8T engine, what is the highest octane unleaded gasoline that I can safely run in the car? Is 93 my limit?

Why???? Do you want to pay for high octane you don't need?
How do you think said high octane gas could harm your engine (unless you us leaded Avgas in a cat equipped car)

He has access to higher octane unleaded fuels and wants to discretely ask if 100 somethingortother AV gas presents some issue.

I don't have a clue, myself.

Delta Sonic here in Buffalo sells 100 octane at $5.99/gallon. I am sure he will get bazillion horsepower out his engine with 100 octane, since it costs double the regular gas.

I think he needs to learn what octane rating means and what it is used for.

wayne, no limit (sorta).

I'd steer clear of anything that uses lead, manganese, tin etc. to achieve the octane.

I have a similar question as well as I believe knock sensored cars like my bmw can take advantage of octane higher than 93. However, just a question at this point. In fact, I almost purchased some 1044 brand octane booster today to see the impact.

Originally Posted By: blueiedgod
Delta Sonic here in Buffalo sells 100 octane at $5.99/gallon. I am sure he will get bazillion horsepower out his engine with 100 octane, since it costs double the regular gas.

Oh, goodie!!!!

Originally Posted By: blueiedgod
I think he needs to learn what octane rating means and what it is used for.

Why, oh why would I want to do that?

100 oct. pump has been giving my car delicious exhaust fumes for over 2 years as a daily. And being catless ( ahem... ) occasional doses of nasty leaded fuel ( up to 120+ oct VP ) has caused no issues, short of having to replace my wideband 02 yearly. ( which I do anyways )
Unleaded race gas will NOT cause you any issues, and is usually superior quality/consistency to common pump fuel and can be a huge saftey margin to prevent detonation.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
In my bone-stock '00 VW GTI 1.8T engine, what is the highest octane unleaded gasoline that I can safely run in the car? Is 93 my limit?

If its bone-stock, why would you need to run higher than 93?

Originally Posted By: Jason8691

I don't need to run anything higher than 87 octane, from previous experience with the car. I was just curious about what problems, if any, the engine might experience if higher than 93 octane were ever used, for whatever reasons.

Originally Posted By: Thingfish
100 oct. pump has been giving my car delicious exhaust fumes for over 2 years...

When they decided to close down the Industrial Hygiene lab at my last company, they had cases of 2,2,4-trimethylpentane left over that they were going to throw out. I generously offered to "dispose of the offending material" for them. The exhaust of my truck also had the sweet perfume of performance when I added a couple liters of iso-octane to each fill up for the next year +.

19.gif

not that your engine will get there, but it is important to remember that the higher the octane, the slower the flame front of the combustion event moves and the slower the peak RPM of the engine will be. back the the good old days of "witches brew" custom fuel formulations in formula 1, they usually did not get over 95ish octane because of the limitations that they ran into.

Originally Posted By: jamesn
not that your engine will get there, but it is important to remember that the higher the octane, the slower the flame front of the combustion event moves

Not with general old gasoline it doesn't.

Originally Posted By: Jason8691

I don't need to run anything higher than 87 octane, from previous experience with the car. I was just curious about what problems, if any, the engine might experience if higher than 93 octane were ever used, for whatever reasons.

I had an 04 GTI and I had to run 93 in it. Is yours the turbo?

Jason8691,

Yes, mine is the turbo. It ran fine on 87, but mpg was worse vs running 89 or 93. It never knocked, pinged, or anything else unusual when I ran 87 in it. It's been a few years since I've used 87 in it.

It seems to me that if an engine cannot deal with higher octane then it was designed for, or it cannot adjust the timing/mixture to it, then the combustion will be dirty, incomplete, and that means making the oil dirty....not good...I would stay with the octane that maker says to use.

Some cars benefit from higher octane, others do not, and those that don't might find more deposits in their internals for the incomplete burn.

In most cars, octane is over rated, a waste of money, and for cars that cannot process it, octane is snake oil....lots of teenager speed racer boys run Octane in their riced out Japanese cars, because they have this dillusion of adding gazillion more horsepower to their little crates....the ignorance of youth :)

Most race gas 100+ octane (R+M method) - does not have any detergent additives. So running it on the street is not a good idea for longevity.

It is made for power and consistency for a short time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back