Ariens Snow Blower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Ariens snow blower with a 8 HP Tecumseh and it has about 2 hours on it, now it's time for the first oil change.

What is the best oil for this engine, I like to use a straight wait oil in air cooled engines.
The manual calls for 30w oil for above 32 degrees, and 5w-30 below 32 degrees.
What would you guys use?

Personally I would go with 5w-30. You will be using it when it's cold anyways, and you'd want to oil to get around aSAP after start.

5w-30 seems to get pretty thick as it is when I was pouring during -7Celcius.. so I can only imagine how thick straight 30weight would be.

I've got an 8HP Simplicity with a B&S OHV engine.

Manual calls for Syn 5W-30; I'm using Motorcraft and change in middle of season and end of season.

If mine had the Tecumski, I'd do exactly the same thing.

Dumping the oil after just two hours? Smart. :)

Be sure to watch it drain ... just not on a full stomach.
37.gif

Sure, you can use a 5W-30 (synthetic or dino) but after several hours of use, I bet this stuff has sheared down a full grade (eq. to 5W-20). That's fine if you are going to limit the interval to about 10 hours or so. Anything past that and I'm afraid wear will be accelerated. No proof of this ... just a hunch.

At the very least oil consumption will increase while using sheared-down oil so watch it carefully.

Important question: Is the machine started warm? Is it kept in a heated garage? If it is started below 50F I would rule out your favored straight weight 30 (I would never use the stuff regardless - it's an anachronism).

My bet would be to use a 5W-40 HDEO (assuming it's started in chilly (if not downright cold) conditions. It will have a great add-pack and can safely sustain some shearing/dilution while still protecting the engine very well.

Just be sure to run the next batch of oil for no more than 4 hours to flush out the remaining break-in debris.
wink.gif

I've used 5W-30 in mine for years.
The last couple of years, I've switched to 0W-30; Mobil-1 at first, but that's almost impossible to find now a days, so I started using German Castrol.
Works great- not burning any.
My 2¢

I'm going to go a hesd and use the 5w-30 and see how it goes.
Book says not to use 10w-40 or 5w-40.

Thanks Guys

I have an Ariens blower with a 5.5 HP Tecumseh, and have been using 5W-30 or 5W-20, whichever I have on hand. No problems. I keep it in the un-heated, detached garage. Change the oil at the end of each season. It may get a max of 10-15 hours each season.

I do the same for the Honda Lawnmower and Generator. Although, with Generator, I change the oil after prolonged use (over 2 days of continuous use, or after acummulated 10 hours), or once a year if there are no outages.

John,
I've had the same 5HP Ariens over 30 years and it came with a 5W-20 spec. I use synthetic in there as when its wet, heavy snow, these engines work hard clearing a 120 foot drive! 5W-30 will be good for you. These 8 hp engines take a QUART. Just change it at the end of every season and the machine may out-live you. Good Luck

"Book says not to use 10w-40 or 5w-40."

Wow, are you kidding? The manuals for these kinds of motors are usually so out of date when it comes to lubrication, I wouldn't think they'd even the existence of 5W-40 for at least another decade.

I'd still use a 5W-40 over a 5/10W-30 mineral oil. The 5W-40 would have the better add-pack to deal with anti-wear and fuel dilution.

However, if you drain it frequently (10 hours or so), you would get away with any weight of oil SG standard or newer.

i have a 1977 COLUMBIA snow blower 8 hp .TECUMSEH ..and i live in northern canada [we get a lot of snow ] i have used MOBIL 1--10 W 30 and the motor still runs like new ,i must be doing something right ....

Funny how many people use GC in their OPE. Of course, I've never actually even seen the stuff.

Of course, GC starts out thicker (at temp) than its 0W-30 rating suggests and will behave more like a 0W-40 than a typical 0/5W-30 throughout most service levels.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
Funny how many people use GC in their OPE. Of course, I've never actually even seen the stuff.

LOL.gif
Same here Bror. I gave up looking some time ago.

Joel

GC=German Castrol=Castrol Syntec 0w-30(Says made in Germany on the back of the bottle). Only found in the US at Autozones.

To revisit my point: people here are using an oil that approaches a 40 weight in these engines that (seemingly habitually) ask for a 30 weight ... and seem to be having success in doing so.
cool.gif

Last edited:
Been using Amsoil 5w-30 in my 5.5 Tecumseh Sno King snowblower and it starts better and the high rpm surge I had is gone. Will continue to use this oil in her. Starts on the first pull every time in subzero. Never even have used the electric start.

i run a 5w-20 in mine. I figure its cold out and chances are that the oil is not making it to 100c. So it will be thicker than any 30 or 40 weight would be in the same engine run in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back