What should ATF smell like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious about what ATF should actually smell like in the transmission. I checked the ATF in my Explorer today and it was a nice light transparent red and at the right level. It didn't smell like ATF does fresh out of the bottle though. I don't know that I would call the smell burnt, but it isn't the same as ATF in the bottle. Would I be correct in assuming that burnt ATF would smell something like overheated brakes or a burnt clutch? It isn't a strong smell like that.

I think gauging ATF condition by smell would be very subjective.

I will say that I once serviced a transmission on a '60's Rambler Ambassador station wagon. The ATF was still nice and red, but it smelled so bad it made me gag.
37.gif

ATF's all seem to smell different to me.
Maxlife DEX/Merc smells like a really pungent mildew, while Schaeffers #204SAT smells like really strong dead fish.
I hope this helps!

Fresh ATF always had a rubbery smell to me and worn/old ATF always seemed to have a burnt oil smell.

Well, thanks for the input everyone. I guess anything other than obviously burnt smelling fluid is probably okay if the color is good. This fluid does have a somewhat rubbery smell.

The only way to check the color is to get a quantity out and look at it in a container. There is not enough on a dipstick to really get a good feel for the true color. What looks red on the stick, can look dark in a pail.

FWIW, new ATF smells like rubarb to me.

another thing, well worn fluid usually smells quite strong.
One comment I'll make is, if it's been a while since the fluids have been checked, sometimes the dipstick will have a coating of gray stuff on it that will rub off onto a rag. Aluminum maybe?

depending on age and WHO"S additive system is used to make it, IT WILL vary in smell NOT a good indicater of ANYTHING
bruce

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bruce381
depending on age and WHO"S additive system is used to make it, IT WILL vary in smell NOT a good indicater of ANYTHING
bruce

What bruce said.

Castrol Mercon V - New (Smells like a stinky chemically rubber)
Supertech ATF+3 - New (Smells like valvoline motor oil to me)
Supertech ATF+3 - Used (Smells like the hydraulic fluid used in roller coasters! reminded me of kennywood constantly lol)
Mercon V - Used (Not like the bottle at all, just an oily chemical smell, not too bad actually)
Dexron II - New and Used ( Ick, dang this stuff stinks. I pulled a burnt tranny from a minivan full of BLACK dexron II and I have never smelled something so foul from a car)
ATF+4 (I have heard it smells like baby poo, idk about that as I can't quite remember that far back in my life. It stinks.)

I have become quite a smart nosed person, I can tell what type of tranny fluid it is by smell alone now! :)

Originally Posted By: Donald
Forget the SMELL, get a UOA.

smirk2.gif

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Hey, no need to jump on me..... I said USED fluid usually smells strong.
I didn't say you can tell the exact condition of a transmission by the smell.
Maybe I should have said OFTEN, instead of usually?
can't we all just get along???? lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back