Are VW's that bad!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the fuel prices are creeping up I was thinking of getting a new 09 Jetta TDI.After doing some poking around on the internet I'm not sure I want to deal with all the problems from VW dealers,mechanics or the rest of the horror stories I've been reading about.These cars aren't cheap but if they come standard with expensive problems I'll wait for the 09 Honda diesel...are VW's that bad?

I am in the same boat you are in. I am also considering buying a VW TDI.

Some people on myVWlemon.com seem to trash their VW due to the problems they had.
21.gif

Everyone I know had electrical gremlins with their VWs, but I think that is common with just about every european car maker. I wish they would get things fixed. I really like the Jettas. Really sharp looking cars.

My wifes 97 Jetta 2.0L even with the low miles it has been awesome. Had the coolant flange changed other than that its been great. I had the tranny fluid and filter changed for the first time in 10 years with no problems.

I would rather own and 09 TDI than a 09 Honda diesel only because VW's TDI have been around in the US forever.

Last edited:
I drove an '03 1.8T Jetta for 4 years and only had a few minor issues with it. All were fixed under warranty.

1. Passenger side door lock wouldn't unlock all the way when the unlock button or remote was used. You had to open the door from the inside to let a passenger in.

2. Brake light switch failed under the pedal. Seems to be a common problem in that era of Jetta's. There was a recall for some of them but mine wasn't covered under the recall even though it failed. Dealer replaced it in less than 20 min.

3. Leak in intake system somewhere that was very audible. Another quick fix.

4. Headlight burnt out. Seems to be a common problem in VW's as it feels like half the Jetta's or Beetles that I see that are more than a couple years old are driving around with a burnt out light.

Overall in four years and about 48000 miles I don't think it was an unreasonable amount of problems and they were all pretty minor. The door lock thing took a while for them to fix but they gave me a loaner. I wouldn't hesitate to get a VW again, although the 26000 miles I've put on my Mazda3 have been absolutely trouble free. Long term ownership of the VW may be a different story but I believe they last as well as you treat them.

I'm sure many people don't like VWs because of electrical issues. Many mechanics I've talked to say these cars have electrical issues and said you will have problems later on for sure. Of course they only favored Toyotas and Hondas. I don't think there is anything mechanical issues other than sludge with the turbos. Fuel economy with VWs is not as great compared to other cars with similar engine size and hp. Also probably a good idea to get a manual transmission rather than the automatic.

I drive a 02 VW Jetta 2.0L and it has been one of the best cars I've driven. The only electrical problem I had was the window switch which was fixed under warranty. The brake light switch never failed but got it replaced during that recall. Headlight burnout is probably because it of the daytime running light.

ARB1977: Does your 97 Jetta have the automatic transmission with or without dipstick? Newer ones have the sealed lifetime atf with no dipstick.

Last edited by a moderator:
VW's have been about the same as they always have been. A good driving car. It's just that makers like Honda and Toyota have improved over the years. It appears that it's only going to get worse. VW's are about the same and others continue to improve. My brother had a late model VW and I helped him replace it with a new Honda. It saved me a lot of work keeping that darn VW running. I do have a hit for VW owners. Add good quality grounds to the system, lots of them. My brother's VW cooked batteries and toasted alternators. I added grounds between the engine and battery, engine and chassis, chassis and battery, a/c compressor and the battery and the alternator and the battery and the open ground problem disappeared. This was a problem the dealer could not solve. The replaced existing parts but never added extra grounds. That's all they ever did was to replace parts, lots of them.

imo Jetta is best sedan for the money. My female friend has a 06 GLX, pretty fat. Mom has the 96 Passat that is amazing except for low power and weak brakes. On point, the new VW Jetta or Golf is a good quality and I heard they now use the same wiring harness and switchgear supplier that TOYOTA and Honda use.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
imo Jetta is best sedan for the money.

Yet you still bought a new Acura RSX and traded it for a new Honda Accord. Do as I say, not as I do?

With Peugeot, Renault, and Alfa Romeo abandoning the US, VW is the worst manufacturer remaining. (I would still have a VW diesel, but just because it's a diesel, not a VW.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128

ARB1977: Does your 97 Jetta have the automatic transmission with or without dipstick? Newer ones have the sealed lifetime atf with no dipstick.

Its a sealed unit. I was hesitant at first because it seemed to hold third gear longer than i liked but i guess its a VW thing. It still shifts the same after the fluid and filter change. Mine also has that so called lifetime fluid but the dealer still says to change it. I asked the dealer what the fluid looked like when i came out...his response dirty but not burnt.

imo Jetta is best sedan for the money. My female friend has a 06 GLX, pretty fat.

Whos fat the friend or the car?

It seems as though every person I know with a VW has issues with the car on a regular basis. It isn't usually the kind of stuff that leaves you stranded, but even small repairs become a pain when it is a monthly occurance.

That said, a lot of people also love their TDI Jettas.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
It seems as though every person I know with a VW has issues with the car on a regular basis. It isn't usually the kind of stuff that leaves you stranded, but even small repairs become a pain when it is a monthly occurance.

That said, a lot of people also love their TDI Jettas.

I'm in the "love my TDI Jetta" category. It's a 2005 that I bought used 2 months ago. One repair, a temp sensor that there is a service bulletin out on that the warranty would have covered. For a $14 part via UPS I changed it myself and saved 2 round trips to the dealer. So I'm at an occurrence every 2 months so far
grin2.gif

I would much rather drive it than a Civic or Corolla. The Jetta has some soul even if it is cut below the others in reliability. Mine was built in Germany instead of Mexico like most of them, so it may be a bit more reliable. It feels like it was meant to be driven and is more comfortable on an 800+ mile day than some much more expensive cars.

Even on the VW TDI forum, many of the owners concede that VWs have more minor problems that the Japanese competition, but late VWs are still solid cars after 200-300k miles.

I bought it because I wanted a diesel and have been pleasantly surprised at just how competent a car it is.

My first VW was a 2002 Passat. I loved that car so much that in 2007 I would not have traded it for a brand new accord or camry. I did however, trade it for a 2007 Passat which is an incredible car. Having said that, VW's are not low maintenance cars. They will be reliable if you do pre-emptive maintainence. They are not robust to neglect. For some family and friends who know cars, keep on top of maintenance, and love driving for the sake of driving, I recommend VWs. For the other members, I recommend Hondas and Toyotas. FYI, I also own a Toyota sienna. This is our appliance, point A to point B, family car.

I've driven my '00 GTI 1.7T since December '03. It's never left me stranded. Problems I've had include:

1. Failed MAF sensor (warranty repair)

2. Defective airbag (Dealer I purchsed the car from paid for repair - $1K) Light came on again 18 months later. It's still on - I don't feel like shelling out another $1k or more. I'll manage without airbags, thank you.

3. Headlights (low-beams only) burn out approx. every 2 years. No biggie. I just replaced them this weekend, as a matter of fact.

4. I have a secondairy air injection fault code that I can't figure out. CEL stays on because of that. I doesn't affect the driveability of the car, but if you live in a state with emissions testing, you would be required to have it fixed.

That's about it. Would I buy another VW? Probably.

Originally Posted By: Tosh
imo Jetta is best sedan for the money.

Yet you still bought a new Acura RSX and traded it for a new Honda Accord. Do as I say, not as I do?

With Peugeot, Renault, and Alfa Romeo abandoning the US, VW is the worst manufacturer remaining. (I would still have a VW diesel, but just because it's a diesel, not a VW.)

Uh, my last 2 cars were coupes, not sedans. Not that it would matter, I don't like the front kneeroom on the VWs or Audis, reason enough for me not to get it. It's on Mom's list just the same, inc new Passat, which she will probally pop for to "surprise" me.

Reviewing my Euro car magazines, VW does not fare badly. All Euro cars had problems the last 5 years. The 1996-2000 vintage cars are better. Hopefull, the new ones will be good too. Suzuki is rock-bottom.

fwiw, my female friend had a Jetta IV, B5.5 Passat and now the GLX and has had almost zero problems. Before that she had new Integras and Accords type cars and feels the VW is a lot more solid.

VW's are not that bad if you are a DIY person. If you can take off a door panel, rotate your own tires, change your own oil, change your own spark plugs, read a Bentley Manual, then you might enjoy VW experience.

However, if these kinds of tasks are a bit foreign, then VW's are probably not for you. There are niggling problems with VW's for sure, but I think it is somewhat overblown on the internet. The people who are complaining the most are the ones hitting the dealer every time there is a problem.

Keeping the car stock is one thing which seems to help reliability. See too many lowered VW's, with "hawt" wheels, with tons of mods. I'd say these types of dubs have the most problems, and adds to their bad reputation.

VW cars have a horrible reputation with ConsumerReports, and this is true for years, especially since they started building them in Mexico.

I really don't know why anyone would consider a VW...they are sucky cars, especially when one can get a Japanese car that is infinitely better, and often for less money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back