Sauerkraut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

I make my own [censored]. I have been wondering if I could take refrigerated store-bought [censored] and turn it into better by putting it into a crock and aging it a bit more.

Thoughts? I know the canned wouldn't work bc it has been cooked. Just not sure about the refrigerated.

As a [censored] I ought to be able to advise you in regard to [censored], I guess. Unfortunately I hate [censored] with very few exceptions. In the US, I have never found store-bought [censored] that was edible. The [censored] is always just nasty sour, made with cheap vinegar (instead of proper fermentation process), salty and without any good spices and herbs.

If you make your own, just do it right. Make it in a wooden barrel or in a clay vessel, or if you make small amounts, glass jars also work. In addition to high quality [censored] you need white wine, vine leaves, cumin, juniper berries, laurel leaves, mustard seed, salt.

The ideal temperature for Lactobacteriaceae and fermentation of [censored] is 20C to 22C.

I ate bad saurkraut at my brother's house once and had diarreah for a week. I was drinking Pedialite like a madman. No saurkraut for me ever.

If you are not used to eating sauerkraut, you should eat only a small amount. Actually, sauerkraut is ideal if you are constipated. It's also very good for you if you suffer from any intestinal ailment like food poisoning. Sauerkraut has prebiotic properties, meaning it promotes the growth of "good" bacteria in your intestine.

As a [censored], I am offended that the term is censored. I enjoy eating [censored] and being 50% [censored]. Do fellow krauts find this term offensive?

ref

I prefer to be called a Hun.

Imagine, if you will, mori at the market, getting bumped into by a rude Russian.

mori to pushy Russian: "Nyet culturnye!" (No culture)
Pushy Russian to mori: "[censored] Картошка!" ([censored] potato)
witness: "We need a taser over here!"

"As a [censored] I ought to be able to advise you in regard to [censored], I guess. Unfortunately I hate [censored] with very few exceptions. In the US, I have never found store-bought [censored] that was edible. The [censored] is always just nasty sour, made with cheap vinegar (instead of proper fermentation process), salty and without any good spices and herbs". Mori

Daaamit! I've always liked the store bought kind ocassionally! Now you've got me wondering what I'm missing.

Bob

You can buy canned (in a glass jar, actually) German sauerkraut that is okay. Look for the brand Hengstenberg. Specialty food stores carry it.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Is that the best German one avilable in the U.S or the best available period? Tks..s

Hengstenberg is a quality brand and their pickled products are about as good as commercially pickled foods go. Homemade is better, though. I eat sauerkraut maybe once a year, and usually only as a laxative. As for cabbage, most of the cabbage I eat is part of Asian dishes, like yaki-soba. On occasion I make stuffed cabbage rolls.

Generic terms:

[censored] = cabbage (vague term)
Krautkopf, slang = old dunce
Kohl = cabbage (whole head, chopped, diced, sliced, cooked etc)
Kohlkopf = cabbage (a head of cabbage)

More specific terms:

Weiß[censored] = white cabbage
Blaukraut = red cabbage (raw -- literally blue cabbage)
Rotkraut = red cabbage (cooked)
Sauerkraut = pickled/fermented white cabbage
Krautsalad = cole slaw

mad.gif
This censorship is getting out of hand - I can't even make sense out of some posts because I've got no idea what the censored word was and all context of the post is lost

Isn't it obvious? The censored word is [censored].
grin2.gif

Raw sauerkraut is not my thing, but it's good if you fry it up so it browns a bit. Mix with pulled pork, BBQ sauce, and stick it in a bun... sandwich heaven.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
mad.gif
This censorship is getting out of hand - I can't even make sense out of some posts because I've got no idea what the censored word was and all context of the post is lost

It's not too hard to figure out. It's consistent to the the computer!

Scheißekopf is OK, but [censored] isn't. Glad no one called me a wop. With all this about the effects of kroot, is Scheißekraut a word?

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Lose the e after the ß in your compound words.

I recalled that from my HS German, so I did at first. Then I doubted myself and ran it through BABBLEtrout:

Scheißkopf = Sh~tting head

Scheißekopf = Sh~t head

They need to hire some real krauts over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back