Accidentally used 10W40 instead of 5W30 - Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I have a 99 Nissan Quest, 64K miles (owned by me since 32K miles).

I have always used Mobil1 5w30 - 5K interval with PureOne filters.

I decided to switch to Castrol GTX. Went to Wal Mart and picked up a 5w30 gallon jug (or so I thought).

I changed the oil and after a few days realized that I had accidentally picked up 10W40 (shelved in the wrong shelf, I suppose). Also, the 10W40 does not have a "STARBURST" symbol, but does say that it meets "API service SM, SL, SJ and SH as well as exceeding the engine protection requirements for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils".

Please advise if I should change my oil immediately, or I can wait for the next 5K miles.

Thanks,

Manish

I think you'll be just fine, I wouldn't worry about it at all. I certainly wouldn't change it out early.

Pisool,
If I'm not mistaken that engine is only spec'd for 5w-30 year
round or 10w-30 for temps over 32F. The 10w-40 probably won't hurt anything but for the price of dino and a filter I would swap it out for peace of mind. You may notice a slight decrease
in fuel economy with the 10w-40. I previously owned a Nissan Quest back when it sported a 3.0L. I ran nothing but GTX 5w-30
every 3k w/a new filter never had any oil related problems,stayed clean as a whistle.good luck

SS

2000 Honda Accord 3.0L MC5K 5w-30
2004 Honda Pilot 3.5L MC5K 5w-20

Do not worry about it! It will be fine it was 6°F yesterday night and my Camry started just fine on dino 10W30/Penzoil Platnium 5W30 mixed 50/50. I was trying to get rid of some dino I had laying around the pole barn!You will be fine in the Bay Area with 10W40 in it!

You are fine. I had a 95 Villager. Ran it on 10-30 Rotella (and occasionally on 15-40) until I traded it.. 10 years and 210,000 later. Great van, great engine. The Nissan engine in those things is very easy on oil. In fact, all I did to the van was regular 3-4k oil changes, new tires and brakes as needed, one complete exhaust, including O2 sensor and converter, one set of plugs,wires,and rotor/cap, and a driver side half shaft. It left me stranded one time... the rotor conductor came off one night on the way home. Too bad that rotor only lasted 8 years...

It would be interesting, if that truck has a real oil pressure gauge, to compare the pressure between the 10w40 and the 5w30.

I wouldn't change it out. Probably running thinner in your part of the country than 5w30 runs up in northern Michigan this time of year.

Not to worry about the lack of a starburst.

Sleep tight worry about something else. It will work fine and survive with no difficulty. If your still bothered do what was said earlier and drain the oil and refill with 5W-30.

If you had never noticed it was 10w40 after the fact, you would have used it for your regular 5k OCI, and would not have noticed anything different at all.

Now that you've noticed it, believe it or not, you can still go with your regular 5k OCI, and you will not notice anything different at all.

That 10W-40 Castrol is like pumping concrete through your engine; it takes 30 minutes for it to go from the oil pump pick up screen to the cam bearings.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That 10W-40 Castrol is like pumping concrete through your engine; it takes 30 minutes for it to go from the oil pump pick up screen to the cam bearings.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL !!!!!!!

why is castrol 40W the oil that has concrete in it?

banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
You should be fine. I certainly wouldn't go beyond 5K.

Just take it 3K and dump it. That V6 is moderately hard on oil.

Is this the 3.3 of the pathfinder and frontiers as well?

If you lived in Point barrow Alaska, I'd say change it. San Fran? You've got other things to worry about! It will be a-ok; dare I say, maybe even better???
45.gif

Originally Posted By: NissanFan

Is this the 3.3 of the pathfinder and frontiers as well?

Not sure it's the exact same engine, but at least it closely related in the oil chewing department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back