New Kia Rondo 2.4L 4cyl, good oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm at it again with a different car, this time a Kia Rondo with the 2.4 "World Engine" 4cyl that is used also by Hyundai, Mitsubishi and Chrysler.

I couldn't find any UOA's for Kias or Hyundais when I did a search which is weird because I posted some when I had my Spectra5.

Anyways, anyone have any recommendations? I have about 650 miles currently on it. Thinking about dropping the factory fill at 1000 miles.

Manual says 5w20 or 5w30 preferred, 10w30 allowed.

Oil cap says 5w20 GF3.

I'm really looking for someone who owns one of these 2.4 engines in any of the aforementioned products and has some UOAs on them.

Here's a little background on the World Engine:
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/world-engine.html

Of course, the Kia has the Hyundai version of the engine, from their corporate parent.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
So I'm at it again with a different car, this time a Kia Rondo with the 2.4 "World Engine" 4cyl that is used also by Hyundai, Mitsubishi and Chrysler.

I couldn't find any UOA's for Kias or Hyundais when I did a search which is weird because I posted some when I had my Spectra5.

Anyways, anyone have any recommendations? I have about 650 miles currently on it. Thinking about dropping the factory fill at 1000 miles.

Brons2,

Since your car is new I'd drive it using the dealerships oil for the 1 year first. That way if anything goes wrong they can't blame it on you. After the first year I'd switch to a good synthetic oil in the 5W-20 weight you mentioned. I use Mobil 1 myself for both of my cars and it has satisfied me for years. For you their many choiced you can make.

Good luck,

Durango

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Manual says 5w20 or 5w30 preferred, 10w30 allowed.

Oil cap says 5w20 GF3.

I'm really looking for someone who owns one of these 2.4 engines in any of the aforementioned products and has some UOAs on them.

Here's a little background on the World Engine:
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/world-engine.html

Of course, the Kia has the Hyundai version of the engine, from their corporate parent.

I have the same engine in my Sonata and put 5W-30 synthetic at the first oil change after 4 1/2 months and 3600 km. I'm debating if I should run 5W-20 after I go through my stash of 5W-30 and 0W-30. I'm also running a Napa Gold 1334 filter.

I really like this 2.4 liter. With the manual transmission, it's peppy, smooth and economical.

Dropped the factory fill on our Kia, same engine as your Rondo, at about 1,500 miles. Ran another short cycle of dino 5W-20 and switched to full syn 5W-20 around 4K miles.

0W-20 is going in next.

Did a UOA at the 3rd OCI, which which was around 10K miles. Nothing unusual was seen.

Originally Posted By: Minou
I really like this 2.4 liter. With the manual transmission, it's peppy, smooth and economical.

I've think so too. I wish it was going in the new Tiburon.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Originally Posted By: Minou

I've think so too. I wish it was going in the new Tiburon.

Would also be a great base engine for the Tucson/Sportage duo in lieu of the overworked 2.0 liter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back