Confusing Cross Reference Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok...I have a cross reference question that I hope makes sense. I have two new (but older stock) filters in front of me:

1) A Warner PH-2850. On the box it says it crosses to the following:
AC PF2
Fram 2850
Wix 51452

2) A Donaldson P55008. On that filter's box it says it crosses to:
AC PF1 PF2
Fram PH8A PH1 PH12 PH19 PH3
Wix 51015 51016 51515 51525 51615

So my question is why would both filters be crosses for the AC PF2, but not the Fram or Wix numbers? If it crosses to ONE brand, would that not mean that the two filters I have can be used interchangably?

I did dig deeper....on the Wix web site I compared the 51515 (a cross for the Donaldson) and the 51452 (the cross for the Warner) and both appear to have identical specs EXCEPT the 51452 has a higher burst strength.

Given that info, is burst strength enough of a difference to make a filter not cross to another?

So would I be safe using the HIGHER burst strength filter on the lower burst strength application? Obviously not the other way around! Any other reason not to use it since every other spec was the same?

Last edited:
I would say that you could use either on any ride EXCEPT those spec'd in the higher burst strength filter (assuming other specs were comparable - bypass, etc.). They require the filter spec'd for them.

Burst strength, generically speaking, follows can diameter. Occasionally an application requires a heavier can. The Viper V10 and Audis of certain years apparently require this. If you view the "all applications" ..you see that this filter (51452) is spec'd mainly on industrial/construction/material handling equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back