2006 Tundra 4WD, Rear Diff, Amsoil SVG 75W-90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the first UOA from this component, the Rear Differential of my 2006 Toyota Tundra Limited Double-Cab 4WD. Note this is from a Limited-Slip differential, and 4 ounces of Amsoil Slip-Lock additive was added to this oil (4 ounces added to 4 quarts of Amsoil SVG 75W-90). Note the very high TAN - I was rather surprised. Note I am also posting other UOAs on the Front Differential and Transfer Case in this vehicle. This lube was in service for just over 10,000 miles. There was some light towing (2,500 pounds MAX on level terrain, vehicle rated for 6,600 pounds). Towing occured less than 10% of the time during this interval. Note this was the second fill of Gear lube on this vehicle, including the factory fill, which was changed at just over 5,000 miles. I am planning on opening a separate topic about the high TAN levels on this and 3 other UOAs on gear lube I have received recently. Meanwhile, here is the UOA on the Rear Diff:

Tundra_Rear_Diff.jpg

This gear oil looks like it's a little on the thin side for a rear diff. Why didn't you use SVT? Does the owners manual call for 75W90 in the rear?

Hi Indymac,

For the LSD differential, the Toyota manual calls for 80W-90 at temperatures below 0 degrees F, and SAE 90 in temps above 0...The amsoil online application guide says to use either 80W-90, or Severe Gear 75W-90....The latter is what I used....

Tan looks high. But, it is a gear oil which has higher tan to begin with.

LSD additive will skew some results. If you VOA it, make sure you dose the quart with LSD, shake, then take the sample for VOA.

Looks good. But, nothing exotic here. Could take some more mileage for wear to settle. Notice insolubles!

I read this is the 1st fill of the Amsoil installed at ~5k. So, there is still some breaking in to do. Next run should look much better. If it doesn't go thicker(110wt) or switch brands.

Since SVG has LSD additive, tune the additive dose. Use as little as possible to prevent 'end chatter/noise. But, 4 ounces seems like a mild dose for ~4 quarts fluid.

Visc/flashpoint look perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back