.2008 Mazda5 oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
wrong key sorry.
Here it is:
Hi all. I just purchase 2008 Mazda5 and to my surprise, when a ask a sale rep about changing my own oil was told that: even if I keep all receipts from oil and filter I buy, in case my engine go bad Mazda most likely will deny my clam.
I got same answer from Mazda USA hotline.
Question is: since I have to change oil at dealership, how good their oil is? Will they use oil I'll bring in with me?

Somebody is blowing smoke. Mazda cannot deny a warranty claim if you change your own oil and keep the reciepts. They also cannot mandate that the dealer must perform the oil changes.

I recently purchased a new car and the warranty cannot force you (in Australia) to use the dealer but you have to use a "licensed mechanic". I use a local mechanic to do the scheduled servicing because I trust them. I have to use at least an SL oil to keep the warranty so I use Mobil 1

Originally Posted By: dima
wrong key sorry.
Here it is:
Hi all. I just purchase 2008 Mazda5 and to my surprise, when a ask a sale rep ....

There is an easy way to tell if a car sales rep is lying.

Were his lips moving when he said that?

Quote:

Mazda cannot deny a warranty claim if you change your own oil and keep the reciepts.

Yes, but they will try; I can't find the post, but a fellow BITOG'r had a Mazda 3 self destruct and the dealer said it was not covered since the canister oil filter was "twisted" Not sure how this causes a rod to come thru the block; after a bit of "i call [censored] on that!" Mazda decided to cover it.

Best advice is to create an indisputable paper trail of maintenance records

Last edited:
why do it urself?

bring the oil and filter of ur choice to someone and pay him 10 bucks to do it in ur eyes

btw i don't recommend extended OCI on this 2.3L engine as the engine generates a lot of heat, with dino oil on 5k OCI the oil is pretty beaten up with smell and watery, and the oil filter looks in pretty bad shape when u take it out, and the rubber ring gasket is nasty when u take it out, be sure to change that along with the new filter

it's better to use the Mazda Filter, it's twice as much as the Purolator Pure One but it works well

the engine is pretty much underpower for Mazda 5 and 6 so just follow a 5k OCI will be good for your car.

This is going to sound crazy, but when my truck was still under warrantee I would let the dealer change the oil and then I'd drive it home and change the oil out again with my own oil and my own trusted procedure.

I still went on record as abiding by the warrantee rules, but what they didn't know didn't hurt them.
grin2.gif

Good luck with your new mazda. I just took delivery of an '08 mazda 3. When i mentioned to the salesman that i'd be doing my own oil changes, he didin't have a problem. He did recommend mazda filters, and that's what i use. Your car may come with a cartridge type filter that may be a a little more difficult to install. Maybe they just want to avoid warranty claims arising from a DIYer incorrectly putting on that type of filter.

A little while ago I posted this,

I literally just got off the phone with Al Harvey, the Mazda Canada Inc., Western Canadian Parts and Service Manager. He says Mazda has no restriction on what grade or type of oil the owner chooses to use. They only require that the owner keep complete receipts and records proving that all the proper maintenance was performed at the proper interval. He did not offer this response in writing, but he did sound convincing.

In this thread,

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post993937

Working in the auto industry and having friends that still do, I would never let someone change my oil or do anything on my car that wasn't warranty related. I even ate the cost on a new battery for my car because I didn't want the dealer touching my car.

If you knew how often they leave the old filter on, forget the oil and then add it when they hear the engine making odd noises, joy ride, strip or partially strip the drain plug, and about 10 other things that regularly go on you would never let someone else do your oil.

I'm working on a case right now where I had my car at a Honda bodyshop for a minor dent where someone backed into me by the gas cap. For some reason it looked like the front of my car was new, the transmission fluid was burned but it was just flushed beforehand and some numbers were written on the case that weren't there before, the bellhousing bolts were blue, and the subframe had welding done to it, the car had the carpets shampooed but still smelled like stale beer, 13 extra miles, and it took them an extra three weeks to get my car back to me. Makes you wonder.

Tanks for replies.
Believe it or not, when I called Mazda USA customer rep told me that having recetes from oil and filter purchase will not guarantee that I actually change it. I know this is a load of …., however if main office have such attitude, I can see a very hard uphill battle if got forbid something will happened to engine during warranty period. By the way she was very upcoming, telling me that service department still can deny clam even if I have all of my recites with me. I own Suzuki and Toyota and all of them are O.K. with me changing my own oil, but Mazda? I have a theory on this one. I think they know something about 2.3 I4 engine we don’t, maybe it is not so good?

Last edited:
My plan is to take dated photos of each of my at-home oil changes and collect dated samples from each oil drain. I won't do UOAs on the samples, but I will keep the samples until my warranty runs out.... just in case.

I will also keep each of the used cartridge filters in ziplock bags, as further evidence of the oil changes.

Last edited:
For some reason it looked like the front of my car was new, the transmission fluid was burned but it was just flushed beforehand and some numbers were written on the case that weren't there before, the bellhousing bolts were blue, and the subframe had welding done to it, the car had the carpets shampooed but still smelled like stale beer, 13 extra miles, and it took them an extra three weeks to get my car back to me. Makes you wonder.

Hey, when those Duke Boys from Hazzard County jump those creeks with the bridge out....

LOL.gif

As someone who had a motor need head gaskets and got the MFG to cover the cost of the repair (and rent a car) I can tell you what your going to need.

1. Oil receipts for the CORRECT oil. (yes they checked to see that I ran the correct weight and what type of oil)

2. A log showing the mileage, date and what type of filter you used. (I tear off the end cap of the filter box and write down the date, mileage and what oil used and keep those)

3. MAKE SURE you follow the manual for how often you change the oil. If they say 6 months or 5k miles, DO IT! If they have a lower (severe use) OCI and you fall into that, DO IT! (this is where alot of people get burned!)

My first UOA done showed coolant in the oil @ 61k miles. With the UOA and my log/receipts in hand I got the MFG to cover the $1200 plus rent a car (3 weeks) OUT of warranty. (The car was 3 years old and the warranty was 3yr/36k miles)

Why did they cover it? Detailed records, that I used the correct oil and changed it per their manual and engines show not need head gaskets @ 61k.

Even though I drove 25 thousand miles more than the warranty, they could not tell me that it was "normal" maintenance to replace head gaskets @ 61k.

(Also, I had NEVER taken the car in for ANY 15k, 30k, 45k, 60k maintenance as shown in the manual)

Sadly, this engine ate another set of head gaskets @ 108k and they would not fix it then. They do consider 100k to be the "life" of their motor.

No need to keep old oil filters. No need to have photos. Just records and receipts.

Take care, bill

PS: Also, I buy my oil when on sale and use it when needed. They did not check on WHEN I bought the oil, just that it was correct type and weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back