Transmission failure 2005 Trailblazer

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks ago my wife's Trailblazer transmission started acting funny. When you came to a stop, it would act like it went into nuetral, then as you accelerated it would rev up then slam into gear. As she was driving it to the dealer (warrantee), it lost all forward drive while on the freeway. Onstar said a tow truck would be there in an hour so she started it back up and tried it. It went into gear but would only shift from first to second and stay there. No third or fourth gear. She limped it home and the tow truck picked it up there. The dealer pulled out the transmission, said that the turbine housing bushing had failed. After waiting a more than a week for parts they put it back together with a new Torque converter, clutches, bearings, 1 band, and new seals. We picked it up and it does the same thing. Come to a stop it goes to nuetral. Accelerate and it slams into gear then operates normally until you stop again. We took it back. What is the probable cause? We only have 5000 miles left on the warrantee. Should we be concerned by their lack of ability to repair it correctly and maybe in 6000 miles we will be stuck having to pay for repairs?

I know the GM T360 chassis had problems with reaction/sun shell failure on the 4L60E in these trucks. Mostly from 2002-2004. This issue was supposed to be resolved by 2004. Why only in the GMT360 is anyone's guess since the 4L60E is a mas-production trans in use by tons of trucks without issue. From what I've read, the splined teeth in the shell shear off and you get what you've experienced. I dunno what it is with the T360s. Too heavy a truck for the 4L60E? 4.2's run too hot? I know they seem to have too much 'shock' to the drivetrain even though this chassis can flex a bit. FWIW, I used to own a 2005. I unloaded it due to the cost of gasoline.

Joel

I would ask for a new transmission since they were unable to repair it the first time. Ask to talk to the field service manager who visits dealerships on a regular basis. You are NY so there is a lemon law. I would bring it back the next day after you pick it up if its still not working. Remind the dealership of the lemon law, they do not want to have to take the vehicle back. Remember GM is paying for the warranty repairs not the dealer. Many dealers also get a certain amount of "warranty money" (charged to GM) that they can use for customer satisfaction.

Quote:
Should we be concerned by their lack of ability to repair it correctly and maybe in 6000 miles we will be stuck having to pay for repairs?

No worries. This problem occurred under warranty. There also has to be some warranty on that repair that will extend beyond the warranty deadline and it may surely be considered part of the original problem.

What I think you're missing is that you can't run out of warranty since this thing is not drivable (imho). Drop it off and tell them to call you when they're done. Test drive it immediately (which they obviously didn't do) and ..that's it.

My 98 Yukon had two trans failures one right after the other. It was slightly different than yours, but on the same page. It ended up being a corroded connection at the plug at the computer. We cleaned it, reconnected it with an application of dielectric grease and that was the end of it. Only problem was this bad electronic signal caused the trand to not get proper pressure applied to the 3-4 drum and the clutches ate themselves. On the bright side, I got an entire new trans for 440 dollars.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
Should we be concerned by their lack of ability to repair it correctly and maybe in 6000 miles we will be stuck having to pay for repairs?

No worries. This problem occurred under warranty. There also has to be some warranty on that repair that will extend beyond the warranty deadline and it may surely be considered part of the original problem.

What I think you're missing is that you can't run out of warranty since this thing is not drivable (imho). Drop it off and tell them to call you when they're done. Test drive it immediately (which they obviously didn't do) and ..that's it.

What Gary said. I would think that the replacement/repaired/new transmission would carry some kind of warranty that would extend beyond the standard warranty.

Wasn't the first GM auto trans installed sometime in 1938-1940? You'd think that there HAS to be someplace in GM's library a compilation book of do's and dont's of AT design that date from that time to the present.

Last edited:
Nope, I asked them about the warrantee when I picked it up. They said when it hits 36,000 miles or 3 years after purchase your warrantee is done even if they put in a new one. So I have about 6 months or 5,000 miles left then I am on my own.

You get the benefit of whichever is longer, the 3/36 expiration, or 12/12 coverage on the repair. The only way you get a new tranny is if it costs the same or more to repair it.

PS-about that "new" tranny. There's no such thing. It's GM reman.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Nope, I asked them about the warrantee when I picked it up. They said when it hits 36,000 miles or 3 years after purchase your warrantee is done even if they put in a new one. So I have about 6 months or 5,000 miles left then I am on my own.

That sounds about right. AFAIK, there is no set warranty on specific repairs made by Mr.Goodwrench. On 2006's and under, it's 3/36 and done. It's possible if they had replaced the trans with a 'GM certified' remanufactured unit, that trans probably would have carried it's own warranty. I'm actually surprised they didn't just pull and replace your OEM 4L60E with a remand unit. I'm thinking your OEM trans must have looked clean when they dropped the pan? If that's even possible after a mechanical failure? I would definitely keep talking until they agree to extend the warranty on this transmission. I don't see why they would not comply to this in this case.

Joel

I would ask for a DELCO/GoodWrench Reman...This way you know all the part's have been checked not just theone's they think failed! See the problem for the dealership is that GM willnot just let them replace that tranny they have to call a call center that used to be in FLint Michigan but is now in Canada. It is was called PQC and they have to approve all the engine and transmission work and they badger the Tech about what trouble shooting he has done! These guys saved GM a lot of money their first year in business wich cut their warranty cost a lot. It was just too much though for them to pay the contract house that ran them enough money so that they could pay these power train tech's $14 an hour plus medical and dental.. So they sent it to Canada and now have to trainthem first but only pay them $9 canadain and no medical since Canada has their dreadful national health care system! Most of the internet stuff went to India and Packistan like GM GoodWrench and AC/Delco sites.... I knew all the guy's in GM Partec,Delco,Heavy Duty Core,Spac,TAC,GM PErformance Part's etc.......It all fell under GMNAAO/GMSPO. It is not so hot these day's!!! Now these are all controlled by a company out of Dubia that was involved int hat Port Secuirty Scandal a few year's back! They bought the contract house from the Canadian Elain Minacs!

Parts replaced under warranty at a GM dealer carry 12/12 pts and labor warranty except wear items or the remainder of the factory warranty, whichever is LONGEST.

You don't demand anything. They are bound by the written warranty and nothing else.

MrCritical, the stealership told me I would get 12/12 only if I paid for the repair. Since it was under warrantee, I only get what warrantee is remaining, in this case 6 months or 5,000 miles. I will ask to speak to the GM rep.

Todd, that can't be correct. Think about it. You tell me that you have a trans problem ...they fix it (allegedly) and it craps out in 5001 miles they're off the hook? Nope. Not the SAME ITEM. Now if your engine seizes ..you just took it in the tush for about $40000 ..but NOT THAT TRANS. They're shining you on, pal.

Todd, is it possible for you to go to another dealer for service? Lack of consistency is common with any make/model dealership, but the good thing about GM is you probably will have more dealerships at your disposal. IMO, I'd roll it into another Mr.Goodwrench lot, tell them your Trailblazer wont go and let them take it from there.

Joel

Last edited:
The 12/12 warranty is on GM parts installed at the dealership regardless of who pays for it (GM or you) excluding lifetime parts (which is a whole 'nother story). It's GM's part warranty and it has nothing financially to do with the dealership. If the part goes bad in the allotted time, the dealer fixes it and submits to GM for their money.

Tell someone to open their Policies and Procedures Manual. I've been doing this over 30 years.

Contact GM directly. They'll jump all over that dealer if they feel he's burning you. They want to sell you more cars.

The problem you may run into is failure of a part that was not replaced during the original 2 tranny repairs.

Keep talking to Chevy Customer Assistance. Let them know your misgivings about the tranny repair. Tell them you intend to buy another GM product after this one, but you're not ready right now. If you have owned GM products before mention that as well.

Tell them you had a friend who had the same thing happen with his GM vehicle, and GM gave him a free General Motors Protection Plan powertrain coverage, extending the coverage on the engine/tranny. But don't tell them I told you to say that!

Excellent ideas, I'll give them a try. The really bad thing is that my wife likes the vehicle...or at least she did...now she is driving a rental Hummer, and all she can talk about is how great it is. I hope this under warrantee tranny doesn't end up costing me $40,000 for a new Hummer.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Excellent ideas, I'll give them a try. The really bad thing is that my wife likes the vehicle...or at least she did...now she is driving a rental Hummer, and all she can talk about is how great it is. I hope this under warrantee tranny doesn't end up costing me $40,000 for a new Hummer.
33.gif
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back