Amsoil 5w-40 Euro for G35?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think of using Amsoil 5w-40 on a Infiniti G35? Right now I have Mobil 1 0w-40 and despite the slightly worse gas mileage and throttle response the motor is a little bit quieter with it versus Amsoil TSO 0w-30. Or should I try the new 0w-30 SSO?

I think I'd try SSO, although I was told th AW properties of the SSO are not better than ASL/ATM. It's just more long drain capable.

Originally Posted By: 98LSC32V
What do you guys think of using Amsoil 5w-40 on a Infiniti G35? Right now I have Mobil 1 0w-40 and despite the slightly worse gas mileage and throttle response the motor is a little bit quieter with it versus Amsoil TSO 0w-30. Or should I try the new 0w-30 SSO?

Either one sounds good to me. Keep us updated so I can follow your lead if things are working or try the other if they arent in my Alti SER.

I would go with SSO.

AFL is, at it's core, a low SAPS VW 505.01 oil. And frankly I'm not sure following VW's weak lead into the world of goofy oil specifications was such a smart idea. VW makes great automobiles, but I remain skeptical as heck about their staff oil (specification) designers.

AFL will work, but keep the interval short.

I have not been fully impressed (my opinion) of how Amsoil represents its new 5-40 oils...both Europeon and Diesel oils.

Why? Amsoils basic warranty is... run these oils to the max the OEM allows.

I know, the OEM has extended the OCI therefore Amsoil 5-40 oils are going the distance. This may be true, but Amsoil has strided away from it's traditional stance of 15,25,or 35K OCI's.

I think Mobil Delvac/Turbo Diesel oils in the 5-40 grade have taken the lead in extended UOA's at this point and welcome Amsoil back to the pack with new 5-40 reformulations. Wonder if that will happen?

Amsoil 5-40 is a fine oil, just not a major extended OCI as Pablo indicates.

Everytime I look at the specs and UOA's, ATM sticks out as AMSOIL's best PCMO oil. I have not tried it in my G35 yet, but hope to some day. Take a look at ATM and see what you think.

Quote:
And frankly I'm not sure following VW's weak lead into the world of goofy oil specifications was such a smart idea. VW makes great automobiles, but I remain skeptical as heck about their staff oil (specification) designers.

thumbsup2.gif

Av lube is selling mobil 1 5w40 turbo diesel for about $34 for six pack without shipping. I would try Amsoil 10w30 though if it were my vehicle. I love the numbers, and the oil seems to generate good numbers in used oil analysis and keeps a high flashpoint.

I have an acquaintance who works as a top mechanic at VW dealership. He noted the 1.8 engine design had a shallow oil pan, which caused sludge in the engines, and generally stated VW's higher weight oil recommendations are sometimes used as a compensation for potentially faulty designs. I tend to agree in that if one needs high specificity with regards to oil, I question the simplicity and efficiency of the design...Although I guess having specific oils can make one feel elitist, which is ironic that VW was once "the people's car," and not a general upwardly mobile transportation for people who cannot afford a BMW, but want a certain uniqueness with regards to specific oil recommendations.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
And frankly I'm not sure following VW's weak lead into the world of goofy oil specifications was such a smart idea. VW makes great automobiles, but I remain skeptical as heck about their staff oil (specification) designers.

thumbsup2.gif

If Amsoil made a gaff in 2006-2007 this would be it. Screw the VW standards, just a make an oil or three that reduces wear and lasts a good 10-15K in VW engines.

Back when I had my VW Jetta 1.8t, Shell Rotella 5w40 syn was all I used. Too bad I crashed that car before I could see how long it would last.

Quote:
If Amsoil made a gaff in 2006-2007 this would be it. Screw the VW standards, just a make an oil or three that reduces wear and lasts a good 10-15K in VW engines.

Agree. AFL uses to be really robust. I'm tired of the VW standards. It's ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I'm tired of the VW standards.

Sell your VW already!

Never! ;-) These strange specifications are a small price to pay for the enjoyment that my VW brings to me.

Quote:
Never! ;-) These strange specifications are a small price to pay for the enjoyment that my VW brings to me.

You like paying for repairs?
LOL.gif
cheers3.gif

Repairs often lead to commitement. I loved my old 1998 Ford SVT Contour, which drove great when running, but had so many problems. I learned more about the automotive system from that car from the different failed parts.....Yet I grew more and more attached to it after further money was spent on fixing it..I carried on this way until the fateful day at 114235 miles when the "poor man's BMW contour" seized up on 695 west in Baltimore, MD. The dealer offerred to fix it for $5000, and even would shampoo the rugs so it would feel like I had "a new car." Now I have the goodness of a Honda Accord, which is so reliable that maybe I unconciousy try to add excitement by running lead-based oils like NEO lol...Have a great New Year everyone...

Quote:

You like paying for repairs?
LOL.gif
cheers3.gif

Gee, I hadn't come back to this thread since I posted, but since you asked... I haven't had to do ANY repairs on my VW in the nine months that I've owned it. Nothing. At seven years old and 95K miles, it drives and feels like new.

I also think that the whole VW thing is a big "internet legend". A few vocal people have some issues and people just can't leave it alone. You mention VW on the net and people who have never owned one come out of the woodwork to tell you how bad they are.

All cars have issues... but when you spend your money to fix a boring car you still have a boring car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back