The Two Versions of M1 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exxon Mobil changed the link in my other post so fast, that I just had to do a little research. Turns out that there is an API SJ/SL/SM/EC/CF version that is sold in Germany, and possibly other parts of the world. Never heard of an API EC rating, anybody know what that is? This version states "Porsche Approved" on it, dated 9/2006 and has the same specs and viscosities as the older SL rated oil. See it here - oil .
I printed a copy of it, so if Mobil is able to change this link, just send me a PM and I can figure out a way to post pictures.

The 2 big questions in my mind are, 1)Are Porsche owners in the US using an oil that they think is approved when it isn't, and does the current version really have the VW 503.01 rating that's not shown on the US PDS but is on the label?

Here is the current American version, dated 11/2006, that uses the vague terminology "Porsche Approval list 2002" (when it was an SL oil)-
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.asp

Doug Hillary, can you tell me if the 0w-40 in Australia has the API EC rating, and do you know anything about it?

Last edited:
Website is probably not up to date. All M1 0w-40's now meet API SM Ilsac GF-4.

Mobil 1 0W-40 meets key industry and car builder specifications for:

Mercedes MB 229.5
BMW Longlife 01

Porsche Approval List 2002
VW 502.00/505.00/503.01

GM-LL-A-025 (gasoline)
GM-LL-B-025 (diesel)

ACEA A3, B3/B4
API SM/CF

Exceeding industry standards and the major leading builder requirements is the cornerstone of the performance reserve that lets Mobil 1 0W-40 keep performing well after conventional oils cannot. Mobil 1 0W-40 provides the widest range of protection -- providing the extreme cold start protection of an 0W grade and the high temperature protection of an SAE 40 grade.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Mobil 1 0W-40 meets key industry and car builder specifications for:

Porsche Approval List 2002

PT1, can you tell us why the SM version of 0w-40 outside of the States has the same specs as the old SL version and states "Porsche Approved" whereas the domestic SM version states "Porsche Approval List 2002" with different viscosities?

Last edited:
In my case, Mobil 1 0w40 is too light of an oil for my particular BMW M50 engine. I got high lead in UOA and the engine was just noisy.

I suspect this particular engine has wear characterstics, age, and wider tolerances Than newer BMW engines. After all, many people say that older BMW engines like heavier oil. I tend to agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back